Maintenance dose of Vanco?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ShannonS
New User

Maintenance dose of Vanco?

Postby ShannonS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:21 pm

So quick story: I’ve been dealing with recurring C Diff since November of last year. I took one round of Vanco, 2 months later, I relapsed. Then was prescribed a Vanco taper.
Since the last time I posted, I was down to a couple of doses left on the every 3 days of the taper, and all my symptoms came back a few days ago so my GI put me back on the liquid Vanco 1x day for 21 days. She also mentioned Dificid and they would see what they could do to get it.
My question is has anyone been put only on the 1x day dose? It feels like a maintenance dose to me. I’m just so exhausted in general, physically and mentally from dealing with all this for so long. I have a appointment with my GI on Wednesday.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Maintenance dose of Vanco?

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:29 pm

After a taper, I have not heard on going on a daily dose. The big question I would have is did you actually relapse? I felt fine on Vanco other than nausea on and off and terrible off it. I did relapse after nearly 2 weeks but it was 100% of where I started from which for me included vomiting.

I ask that because often people can have symptoms post treatment and it can take time to get through and recover. Talk with your Gi about this. When I failed a Vanco 3 month taper, I went to Dificid.

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:10 pm

That's an interesting approach to meds and your Drs thinking outside the box.
125mg of vanco is actually 10 (or more) times the strength that kills c.diff (in lab tests) so if you symptoms go with one dose a day it might give your good flora a chance to recover.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 pm

If it works, that's great. When I was on one 250mg capsule per day I relapsed after doing that for about a week.

ShannonS
New User

Postby ShannonS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:20 pm

So I had a GI appointment today and I found out why she only has me once a day on the Vanco. She printed off the application and filled her portion out for the Dificid assistance. I have to fax the application in tomorrow morning. My GI wants me to take Dificid 200mg, 2x day for 10 days. She just has me on Vanco until the Dificid is approved.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Has the one vanco a day resolved your symptoms?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 am

I remember Cindy , when she was around , she was taking a daily dose of Vanco for a long time to control her symptoms. She was saying that she looks at it like "one vitamin " per day .:)

ShannonS
New User

Postby ShannonS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:21 pm

All my symptoms did not resolve with just the once a day dose. Still waiting to hear back about the Dificid. My husband faxed the application yesterday afternoon.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”