Do I need to take probiotics after C Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
panda18
New User

Do I need to take probiotics after C Diff?

Postby panda18 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 am

I had C Diff in early November 2018 and tested on November 30 to see if the antibiotics worked. I no longer have C diff. Since my infection I take probiotics daily. I don't want to relapse.

Do I still need to take probiotics daily? My PCP said probiotics won't need to be lifetime for me but I'm so scared of C Diff.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Do I need to take probiotics after C Diff?

Postby AllisS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:33 am

There is very little data, so far, showing whether probiotics actually help, or, if they do, which types and in what amounts. The single exception is Florastor, which has been shown in studies to lower the rate of relapse in hospitalized patients. Whether Florastor has benefit when taken on a daily basis is unclear. I take VSL3 once/day, mostly out of habit, though a little bit out of hope that it is making a difference. There is probably no harm in taking a probiotic in moderation as long as you tolerate it; some probiotics cause GI symptoms in some people. However, their use has become something of a fad. So, at least in my opinion, you do not "need" to take a probiotic at all, either daily or for lifetime, unless it gives you peace of mind.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I have to say I don’t know why you tested for cure. It’s over and done with but you are strongly advised against doing that and should treat or not treat based on symptoms alone so be thankful you were negative and had no symptoms or your post infection course could have been unnecessarily complicated.

I am glad to hear you are doing well.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:45 am

It up to you , really. Probiotics are in the category of "won't hurt,might help". If you feel that the probiotics help you and make u feel safe ,you can stay on them until you feel psychologically comfortable not to take them anymore.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”