5 days after Vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
PatmanMI
New User

5 days after Vanco

Postby PatmanMI » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:07 am

Hello all,

I am currently 5 days after a 10 day course of vancomycin. I have IBS-D before this infection, and likely adding on top of that PI-IBS. My questions are related to bowel movements. The days after once I could get back on meds were a huge improvement in consistency (all mushy, but formed). I went 4 times, so within the first 5-8 hours of waking up. Then yesterday I went 6 total times, the last one being around 10 hours after getting up, and this morning I've gone 4 times already and only been up for 3ish hours. All my stools have had a slimy feeling, but none have been watery. I also have an extreme amount of gas, which is just awesome with my cramping feelings. I will say that yesterday was a bit more of a stressful day due to having somewhere to actually be at a certain time (church, so not scary just has a specific time) and my toddler being overly difficult at times.

Mostly I'm looking for assurances that my going more isn't really too concerning since it's formed when I do go (at least mushy formed). Also, that the slimy feeling is also not too concerning as it will take a while for the GI tract to calm down. I don't see too many people comment on the slimy feeling afterwards, but I'm pretty sure I had that same feeling last time I got this infection 4 years ago.

Thanks in advance to all responses.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 5 days after Vanco

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm

It's really impossible to know if what you describe could be the beginning of a relapse. Try to eat bland food and if you were taking probiotics, then continue. If things get worse, then obviously contact your doctor and ask about being re-tested. Right now it could be anything. I also found that foods that I could tolerate before c diff, I could not once off vanco. Do you take anything for the IBS-D?

PatmanMI
New User

Postby PatmanMI » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Yes, I jumped back on those medications immediately. So far I've gone 6 times, which were all at least formed in some manner. Without any medications I'd not be able to get this low of an amount (horrific sounding I'm sure). I do take probiotics, 4 florastor a day (will lower one I get a few weeks out from medications) and an 80 billion from renew life (took that since my first infection 4 years ago).

I've had the cramping on and off as well, but I know that is fairly common. The infection also caused a hemorrhoid which I think is making me feel like I need to go more often than I would otherwise. I just don't often see many people mention the slimy/greasy feeling. I also wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person in this site that takes the medication I do for IBS-D so finding a true comparison isn't going to be feasible. A good day for me would be like 3-4 before c diff (just without that other feeling.).

Thanks for the advice on the bland, I have definitely been trying that. I also haven't slept the best the last few nights (hard with a toddler anyways but not really due to her as much).

I also know that before I had a c diff infection, if I were to go this often I would have the cramping. hopefully not another relapse (had one on my first bout 4 years ago when I took Flagyl), so hopefully a bland meal routine and better sleep will get me feeling a bit more normal (at least normal for me). I believe the time after the infection is the hardest for me due to all the extra worrying, which I do my best to avoid but is clearly difficult.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Is the medication you take for your "normal" IBS something that might alter your gut flora composition?

PatmanMI
New User

Postby PatmanMI » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Roy,
Neither should alter the composition, they are just meant to slow down there motility of my gut. One of them is similar to Imodium and the other is a serotonin inhibitor. They both were amazing compared to what I used to have before them. When I was younger I used to go to the bathroom 5+ times in the first hour I got up in the morning, and often 10+ total in the day.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 am

I was in the same position as you so panicked and was afraid I was relapsing when in fact in retrospect I am sure it was just my IBS kicking back in...and I didn’t have as bad a case then as you seem to have. With PI IBS unfortunately I now have a worse case but I think there are better meds that you might want to discuss with your GI.
When you are stable post c diff you should get your IBS meds re-evaluated by your GI dr.

Rita

PatmanMI
New User

Postby PatmanMI » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks for the response Rita. Unfortunately the medication I'm taking really has only one alternative (the more recently released Viberzi). My IBS can't really be controlled by anything else. Today has been better than yesterday, still having the cramping pains, but at least the movements are more formed with less of a slimy feeling. It's also my first day back to work, so I was happy that the added stress of getting up in the morning and going somewhere did not negatively impact it.

I plan to eat a fairly bland meal routine for a while during recovery, adding back one new food every few days so I can see if it possibly caused any increased in symptoms. Hopefully this plan will keep me feeling better each week.

I hope when you say you panicked that you didn't end up back on antibiotics for treatment. I understand the fear you were probably feeling though.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:43 pm

Once your over c.diff you should concentrate on finding out what's irritating your gut and causing bad IBS.
Meds might help the symptoms but something's got to be causing it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm

IBS is a mechanical disease and doesn’t have to have a specific physical cause. It is a misunderstood disease. I have had it off and on since I was 20 but since c diff and PI IBS it has been awful but I have a great GI.

When you are ready Patman, you may want to talk to your GI about Viberzi. It is a great med for many. It is working well for me. But Enteragam, a medical food, has also worked well for me and others but is not as convenient as Viberzi.

It sounds as though you are doing the right things for your c diff recovery and are on the right path.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”