Cdiff Odor mean relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Damncdif
New User

Cdiff Odor mean relapse?

Postby Damncdif » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi all,

This morning I had a little bit of diarrhea with a definite CDIFF odor. I am 15 weeks post FMT and am “cured.” During the past couple months I’ve had little bouts of diarrhea that go away within a day- I’ve been told this is spores germinating that my new FMT flora is able to fight off. But I have not noticed the odor before. Also, last week I began using a topical antibiotic in the nose which carries a slight risk of CDIFF, but the infectious disease doctor wasn’t terribly worried about it.

Has anyone had an experience with this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

roy
Administrator

Re: Cdiff Odor mean relapse?

Postby roy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:50 pm

If the antibiotic your using is not to cure a life threatening illness you might want to stop using it! (with your Drs input)
Most people that had a recent FMT would not be risking any form of antibiotic unless it was for a very serious infection.

Damncdif
New User

Postby Damncdif » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:27 pm

It was for a staph infection in the nose. I used it for 5 days and have stopped already. The ID doctor wasn’t worried about it causing a relapse. But the odor worries me... has anyone else had the CDIFF odor without relapsing?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 am

Yes, I have had that and it wasn't c difficile, but it was SIBO. If you have an imbalance of bacteria that can do it or even the combinations of foods that you eat. If the D returns and becomes persistent, I would test. But, other infections can cause bad odor too, so if you do test, ask for a stool culture for other pathogens as well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:13 am

Staph is a very common bug that is found in 1 in 4 noses.
usually harmless.
Unless its causing illness it is best left alone.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am

I have had the "smell" with a stomach bug post c.diff but agree with Roy that antibiotics, even topical, should be avoided so soon after a FMT unless absolutely necessary.

Damncdif
New User

Postby Damncdif » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you for your input.

The staph has caused cellulitis, so it was serious and the antibiocis were necessary. That infection has completely cleared up and I have stopped the ointment. It’s now just a matter of waiting to see if this will become a relapse or not. What I hate is that a relapse could theoretically happen months after taking antibiotics. Time will tell I suppose. I hate the looming possibility that the DIFF could come back. I’m sure many people who’ve had it have this fear. Does it ever go away?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:56 am

What ointment did you use? If it contained clyndamicin, that is one that I would definitely avoid in the future.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”