Questions about Probiotics, Urgency and a Update

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ShannonS
New User

Questions about Probiotics, Urgency and a Update

Postby ShannonS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:33 am

I’m in the middle of my taper on Liquid Vanco. I have 3 days left of 2x a day, then I go to 1x a day for a week. But I started back taking S. Boulardii and after a couple of days, my stomach started hurting and I started feeling like I would throw up. When I stopped taking it, the bad nausea and stomachache went away. I then started Align and the same thing happened so I stopped taking it. What am I supposed to do now? I can’t handle those probiotics and I can’t handle any dairy so yogurt is out. I was just fine on both probiotics my first active infection.

Another question I have is about urgency. I don’t have any D, but I’m back to going 4-5 times a day. It’s ranging from mush to me being constipated, but even when I’m constipated, I still have the urgency. It’s weird. I even still have some M with them.

Also quick update on me:
A few days ago, I started feeling better. I still get nauseous, but it’s less and only at night. I’m back at work but only part time at 4 hours a day at 4 days a week. I don’t want to push myself too soon. I still suffer from insomnia. I don’t go to sleep until around 4-5am, then I get up at 6:15 for work. It’s kicking my butt. I’m still so exhausted even when I’m wide awake at night. I usually fall asleep for 5-6 hours after I get home from work around 11:30am. The medicine my GI put me on for the insomnia is not working anymore, and I’m still getting real bad leg cramps when I try to sleep, so bad that sometimes I end up crying.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Questions about Probiotics, Urgency and a Update

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 am

It seems like probiotics do not work well for you , don't worry you are not the only one , just don't take any. There are other sources where you can get good bacteria , not just the pill , you can either try kefir or yogurt if you are not lactose intolerant , or fermeted foods , kombucha. Also you should get that insomnia under control , not getting enough sleep will lower your immune system. There are other pills that can help with insomnia but you should go to a psychiatrist for those .

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Questions about Probiotics, Urgency and a Update

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:10 am

I did not do well with probiotics either. I can't take the sacc. boulardii at all. It gives me terrible gas and looser stools and even a rash. I also could not tolerate align. I finally found a probiotic that I can tolerate with just a small amount out of a capsule called VSL#3. But, I agree with Georgina. Don't take the probiotics right now. I also started to feel worse towards the end of taking vanco. The first few days it helped and then I got looser stools. It always gave me a lot of gas too. You could try the kefir. It is supposed to be 99% lactose free - Lifeway brand advertises that.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”