Bad days while taking meds

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
PatmanMI
New User

Bad days while taking meds

Postby PatmanMI » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:56 am

Quick status update: my counts have drastically dropped (16-20,16,11,9,7,6,7,7). Please don't let the higher numbers scare you, 6-7 is pretty good for me with the extreme ibs-d that I have.

So I'm currently almost done taking day 8 of my vanco, but the last 2 days I've felt more urgency and had less form (by the end of the day it seems mostly runny/watery). My life has been super stressful for the last few days too as we prepare for a 'bomb cyclone' in Michigan. I struggled to make sure our generator worked in case we lose power (a truly horrific thought while dealing with an infection). This has caused my sleep at night to be less than ideal as well, as when I wake up to take my middle of the night medication I haven't been able to fall back into a deep sleep. I'm mostly looking for reassurance that my stomach behaving this way is not necessarily a sign that my infection has stopped responding to meds and is instead more likely being caused by the extreme stress I'm feeling. Praying that is the case (I think it is) and that we do not lose power (would rather not have to deal with the generator if not necessary.

I recall on my previous infections having some days during the taking of medications be better than others, and overall to just be worried about the count and form (which form wise today has been a bit better even tho I got low sleep last night again).

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bad days while taking meds

Postby NanciT » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm

It sounds like you have a history of IBS D which now makes it tougher to know if VANCO is working. It also sounds like you have had CDIFF in the past?
Not sure how many days they have placed you on Vanco, typically the D does slow down as your's has...and slowly improves until it's gone. Thats typical and not everyone. If you have a history of IBS D it may be difficult to tell. We do know stress can make all of that worse.

Hang in there, complete the medication and see where you are. If you have had CDIFF in the past I wonder why your GI did not try Dificid.

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 am

My experience with vanco has been that the first few days my stools firmed up after having D. But at about day 5 or 6, they got looser. It pretty much happened that way every time I took it. When I would taper down, after a day or two of adjustment to the lower dose, things improved. But, I never tolerated vanco well anyway. Everyone is different and maybe with your history of IBS-D this is how your body reacts. If you are concerned, I would call your doctor and ask about it.

mathewb
New User

Postby mathewb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:51 am

I am on day 5 of oral Vanc and am experiencing a little more loose stools as well. This is my second time treating it in a month. I am so scared this won't go away. I also have oral thrush from all the antibiotics I've been on :(
I have a vacation planned in April and am nervous I cant go.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:57 am

mathewb, I've just replied to your questions in the other thread where you posted. It's best not to pose your own queries in someone else's thread :)
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

PatmanMI
New User

Postby PatmanMI » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have messaged off to my GI doctor on what to do. We thankfully didn't lose power, and as the day went on yesterday things calmed down a bit for be (went 5 times by 8:30 am and ended at 8 total) and thus far only have had 2 at 10:30 am. The consistency also improved since 8:30 yesterday (not super formed, but not sure that's feasible for my body unfortunately).

They did try so dificid at my request but insurance wouldn't cover it. When I asked the office to push for it they said they were fine with the vanco since my last bout with c diff was 4 years ago.

My question to the doctor was what do I do since I had some looser/kinda watery stools yesterday (at the end of the 5 in like 3 hour stretch). Asked if they think I should just finish the course and go back in my old meds or if I should get like 4 extra days of vanco to try and make sure things are still going better with the reduction in stool count.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”