Probiotics and Anxiety

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
CWitt
Brand New Poster

Probiotics and Anxiety

Postby CWitt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 pm

I am sitting here fighting tears. I have major PTSD from c.diff which I had 5 years ago on and off for 7 months. I recently just finished two different antibiotics for a UTI and 4 days upon completion I’ve had watery, yellow diarrhea and it’s all day. My doctors office is so sick of me calling because anytime I get diarrhea, i think i have c.diff and make them test me. It’s embarrassing. And makes me insecure. But now, I’m really convinced I have it because of my recent antibiotic routine. Anyway, until they test me again, I’m curious what brand of probiotics you all use to help with it? I think I’m reading too much and I just really need solid suggestions. I take Align daily. But I need more right now. Thank you in advance.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotics and Anxiety

Postby Ril » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 pm

After 5 years if you still have PTSD you should hopefully be seeing a therapist for help. Many of us have suffered from fears and anxiety but 5 years of constant obsessing without getting help is too much.
Probably the best probiotic is a yeast one, Florastor or its genetic equivalent Saccharomyces boulardii.

Good luck.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:20 pm

More probiotics is not always good. Many of us have tried upping our probiotic dosage or trying new ones only to experience GI symptoms. If the Align works for you and doesn't cause problems, I'd stick with that. I'd be VERY careful to add in new probiotics especially while having GI symptoms as it could exacerbate them. I, personally, can't tolerate any multi-strain probiotics. The only one I take is S. Boulardii (aka Florastor but I take an off brand one). It's yeast based and I've never had any issues with it.

I also agree with Ril. Five years is a very long time to still be at the level of anxiety and obsession you're at. I hope you are seeing a therapist and you may want to consider medication intervention as well (you can discuss this option with a therapist or a psychiatrist).

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Cwitt, welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting for new members.
Again, sorry you are suffering and hopefully you are not having another episode of C. difficile but again I encourage you to seek out professional help for your severe and prolonged anxiety.

Rita

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:49 am

CWitt, sorry to hear about your nasty all day long watery, yellow diarrhea! That has got to be miserable. You must have had a real bad case of C-diff five years ago to have major PTSD from it! I also had a nasty case of C-diff back in 2017 and it is ALWAYS in the back of my mind.

Just recently there has been some talk here regarding Lauricidin (lauric acid/monolaurin) which is a medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA). In non human testing it has been shown to be somewhat inhibitory against C-diff. What does that mean? It means that more testing has to be done to see if monolaurin (comes from lauric acid) can be beneficial in treatment of C-diff and to determine how safe it is for humans.

That being said, I recently ordered 100 capsules of 600mg of monolaurin for $21 to keep in my medicine cabinet. My wife is going to try it for digestive issues. It comes from coconuts. It is sold over the counter and has been used by thousands of people who swear by it for all kinds of ailments.

I am not suggesting that you try it, but if I get any symptoms of C-diff, I intend to try it.

Regards and I hope that you are doing better and that you are having a false alarm! Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Try to remember that most cases of antibiotic-related diarrhea is in fact not c.diff so that is a possibility especially since it has only been one day.

Also agree with others, five years is a long time to still be in such a heightened state because of c.diff. While I was treating, and during recovery, I went on medication and went to therapy which did help and may be something you want to look into.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”