PLEASE HELP! 4 year old just diagnosed

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Rachey
Brand New Poster

PLEASE HELP! 4 year old just diagnosed

Postby Rachey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi everyone!!

My 4 year old daughter was just diagnosed with c did after 6 MONTHS :( of symptoms. Back in aug she was dignosesd with a sinus infection and put on a z-pak the day after the pack was finished she came down with a double ear infection and was put on clindamycin for ten days. After the antibiotics were finished she began to get terrible tummy aches and was experiencing a lot of nausea. I bought her back to the doc and he said that sometimes they can develop lactose intolerance after being sick and to cut out dairy and see how it goes. I did and and there was no relief. He then sent me in for a stool sample and everything came back negative including cdiff. My doc told me to wait it out and see how it goes. Her symptoms started to get better but then in nov everything started up again. I took her to a GI who wanted to run some blood test to check for crohns and colitis but I had to make sure she was healthy (free of cold, flu etc) for at least 4 weeks before the blood work. Well that was impossible because she is 4 and in pre-K and surrounded by germs. I started her in floaster 2x a day and her stool started to become more formed but still mushy almost like very fluffy stool.. and she was going about 2x a day.

From about nov to dec she got sick twice and was put on the antibiotic cefdinir both times. As soon as she began the cefdinir her stool hardened up within the first dose which I always thought was so strange... I explained to my doc that I was still very uncomfortable with the consistency of her stool and she finally sent me in for another stool test. This time it came back POSITIVE for cdiff.. I was besides myself and I still am! My poor baby has been suffering for 6 months with the horrible infection. Granted she never did have the watery smelly diarrhea that everyone talks about it was always semi formed and mushy but there were times that she was going to the bathroom 10+ times a day.

So now she was put on flaygl 3x a day for ten days. She started her first dose on fri afternoon. I have not seen any improvement so far. Her stool is still very mushy maybe even mushier then before and she is going to the bathroom more often. Iwecare up to 4x already today. I know that flaygl isn’t the best medicine and I urged my doc to switch her to the Vanco but she said to start with the flaygl and we will take it from there.

Sorry this is so long but it is kinda making me feel better to get it all out. I have read horrible and very scary things about c diff and that it can result in sepsis and worse.

Is there anyone out there that can help clam this terrified mom??? Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

panda18
New User

Re: PLEASE HELP! 4 year old just diagnosed

Postby panda18 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:42 pm

I was 30 years I got c diff in nov 2018 and about 3 weeks before my birthday so i can relate to being on clindamycin.

My story was sinus infection in sept and put on 2 weeks on clindamycin. Then had about 5 days or so off of it and then appendicitis (more antibiotics!) I only took probiotics at the same time as clindamycin...I had no idea that c diff could occur weeks after the antibiotic.

The last week of oct I had very bad abdominal cramps and I thought it was just my recovery from my appendectomy. I went on vacation and mornings were awful. I was woken up with strong urge to have a BM. Nov 7 I was at work and two hours before clocking out i felt horrible. BM was fluffy but no diaherra. Abdominal cramps and suddenly I got the chills. Went home and BM again! I felt the same appendicitis pain and thought maybe something was wrong post surgery. My heart rate was 130 at rest. I took my own stool sample and off to the ER. I was diagnosed with C diff. And was hospitalized

My advice is continue to monitor BM frequency and stool changes. Bleach the bathroom. Only bleach will kill c diff toxins

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: PLEASE HELP! 4 year old just diagnosed

Postby NanciT » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us especially with your 4/yo CDIFF positive. If you have looked through the site, you may have noticed Flagyl is no longer considered first line treatment. Vancomycin is. Look under "Treatment" and it has been posted. Please discuss with the GI especially if there in no improvement. Print out what we have listed. We have had parents on here on and off with their children CDIFF positive, you may be able to find some of those threads in the search bar.
The issue is getting on the medication that improves symptoms, I would push for that.

I do hope your daughter improves soon, don't let the internet scare you. This needs to be treated and you should see improvement.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”