Question about testing

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Juicebox
New User

Question about testing

Postby Juicebox » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Hey everyone, I have a question about testing. Ive recently had concerns about a relapse and my ID agreed to retest me. The results were gdh detected, toxins not detected. And then the pcr was not detected as well. Based on my symptoms (non traditional but my symptoms weren’t traditional with my prior positive tests either), he concludes this to be a negative test and suspects my symptoms are attributed to something else. I guess I’m getting hung up on the gdh detected part. I’ve previously had two fully negative tests in September and over last summer but both were possibly too soon after my treatment course. I’ve also been lucky enough to have indeterminate results before but that time the pcr was positive too. I haven’t had recent antibiotics so I know there isn’t an obvious cause to this but I think the anxiety of having this previously and having GI issues just gets me worried that it’s a false negative or something . I’m wondering if this could potentially mean I’m colonized or maybe just not a toxic level of bacteria and then I’m wondering why after a previous negative result, why part of this would be positive again. I’m also wondering about being retested but I don’t want to make something out of nothing either. I trust my doctors but you guys have been supportive in the past so I figured it would help me to get the support. Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about testing

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:53 pm

I was gdh and PCR positive for 2.5 years, but the EIA for toxins was always negative. I did not treat and the hospital that tested considered it a negative test. Just recently, I have had more symptoms and decided to re-test and for the first time in the 2.5 years, the PCR was negative. Interesting, that my symptoms are worse though, but I have been under a lot of stress the last 6 weeks, so perhaps the IBS kicked in and I also have elevated pancreatic enzymes.

I would not worry about this. If c difficile comes back, you will know it. If you don't have the symptoms, don't treat. Especially when the doctor told you that it is a negative test.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about testing

Postby Musings » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:23 am

I will try to find the documentation but the guidelines on tests and treatments are that even if you are gdh detected, that treatment is not recommended unless you have accompanying symptoms (3+ episodes per day of WD for 3+ days). All of my results were gdh detected, toxins negative and wish I had not undergone my final treatment as I think I was in recovery and just dealing with PI-IBS.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”