Relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cake918
Regular User

Relapse?

Postby cake918 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I have been cdiff free since last February. This past weekend I took a bunch of Imodium and pepto to get me through a very tough weekend where bathrooms weren’t plentiful or safe. Last night I woke up with nausea and pain. I one regular stool then a bout of watery diarrhea. Can cdiff come back from Imodium? I am dealing with the death of my nephew (this weekend) and my husband says it’s stress. Thoughts?

roy
Administrator

Re: Relapse?

Postby roy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Sounds like its self inflicted!
Are you aware that you can OD on imodium?
It's similar to opioid poisoning, can make you hallucinate and can be fatal.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 pm

I did not know that. I’m laying off the immodium
And pepto. I was scared to use the hospital bathroom so I loaded up. Praying it passes and gets better.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 pm

It is safe to take Imodium 1 year after c diff but you should not “load up” on it and there is no reason to take both Imodium and pepto. Follow the dosing directions unless your dr has told you otherwise.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 pm

It wouldn't be a relapse this far out. It would be a new infection which would be very unlikely. It would be more likely that you had too many OTC meds or a stomach bug of some sort or stress from the death in your family (so sorry for your loss). Eat bland for the next few days and call your doc if things don't improve.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 am

My mom died last month and the stress definitely had an effect on my GI tract. I also took Pepto (no Imodium) to get through her hospital stay, death, funeral, etc. The stress also kicked up my pancreatitis. I found that when I stopped the Pepto (and I did not load up by any means - just small amounts), I felt better. I tested for c diff last week and it was negative, but unfortunately, the pancreatic enzymes were high again. I have to re-check that in a month, but I think stress does have a lot to do with it. It affects the adrenal glands which in turn affect other things. In my case it kicks up auto-immune disorders that I have. Hopefully, you can relax and things will improve. I also had a stool culture run because I did use bathrooms at the hospital, but nothing showed up.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 am

I think it's just a IBS flare that lasted longer , maybe food related or stress related , do not think it's Cdiff. As other said , i would not load up on Imodium , just use it when absolutely necessary because at some point you can develop tolerance to it and it would not help you anymore.If stress is overwhelming , talk to your doctor about going on antianxiety meds. Also , don't see the reason of using both Pepto and Imodium , just stick to one. Keeping a diet in the rough days is also crucial , stay away from gut irritants , eat easy to digest foods like rice , grilled white meats , potatoes.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Thank you all. Stress is a wicked thing. I’ll avoid immodium as much as possible from now on. Praying to feel better!!

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

When you take products with the intent of altering your BMs, you should not be surprised when those products actually alter your BMs. It sounds like the Pepto and Imodium are causing the recent changes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”