Returning to exercise

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
panda18
New User

Returning to exercise

Postby panda18 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:43 am

Quick c diff timeline

9/7/18 two week course of clindamycin for sinus infection
10/1/18 Emergency surgery for appendicitis
11/7/18 I was diagnosed with c diff and was hospitalized for three days.
12/1/18 I was told I no longer have c diff (re-tested)

As soon as I got the clear I had no diff I started exercising. It's been 64 days since I was told c diff is gone. I enjoy running and could run a 5K and 10k. Now running 2 miles hurts! It's actually as soon as I stop I get this punching pain in the right lower quadrant.

I asked my Dr is this normal and she's not sure. She did state it may be part of the healing process. She offered to examine me. I hestitate. I really want to be running 6 miles but worried if I could harm myself. And I'm running an 8k in May!

Anyone have similar experiences?

TedGil
Regular User

Re: Returning to exercise

Postby TedGil » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am

Hi Panda18,

I am 65 and got C.Diff from a 10 day course of Amoxicillin. I was very active and worked out almost everyday lifting weights and cardio. I am over 30 days in and during that time I had and have all kinds of aches and pains in the abdomen and groin area. Right now I am going to a GI to see if I possibly have a hernia and just generally check me out. From what I read on this support group it is a good idea to have a qualified GI that knows about c.diff troubles on your side.

There was a time when I constantly had the feeling that I needed to pass a BM and would push and nothing would happen. One night I think I might have pushed a little to hard and felt a sudden pain in my groin. Well, now I have stopped all exercise in fear that I have a hernia. So I understand the fear of hurting oneself exercising which for me is tough since it was such a part of my life.

This C.Diff stuff plays with your head allot. Any injury or trouble that may entail a trip to the Hospital, course of antibiotics, going to doctor, around people who are sick, on and on quickly turns into anxiety for fear of getting c.diff at least for me. I am sure that will subside as time progresses.

So with that said I don't think having your Dr examine you is a bad thing. Might even try to find a GI that is versed in areas like c.diff, IBS, UC etc.

Anyways, Good luck with you 8k in May and I am sure you will fly by all the competition. :-)

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Returning to exercise

Postby Musings » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Could you be experiencing a side stitch - https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/side-s ... ing-cramps ?

They usually present on the right side and can be quite painful.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”