When did you return to normal?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
KatieW
New User

When did you return to normal?

Postby KatieW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:37 pm

I read a lot of posts here and appreciate the wealth of information! I’m curious as to when you all had normal BMs again? I feel like mine have only gotten worse, never have they gotten better. I’m 8 months post c diff negative tests and still do not have formed BMs.

I went untreated for 2 months and went through two rounds of antibiotics for another health reason. I had a colonoscopy for the loose stools and some blood, but only showed “some inflammation” and hems. He totally missed the c diff.. It wasn’t until I switched GPs and she ran a stool culture. I also suffer from indigestion, gas, bloating, and right sided pains ever since that haven’t gone away.

Ever since treatment, the pain is gone, but I would love to get back to normal. My anxiety now runs wild with thoughts of scarier and more sinister things going on that were missed since I’m not back to normal and c diff negative still. I now have mucus and twice I’ve had bleeding on the stool and in the mucus.

Anyone else struggle this much recovering after this long? My new GI says post infectious IBS. I’m also 21 weeks pregnant so they can’t test me for anything else until baby is born. She’s doing wonderfully so I’m glad there’s that!

I have tried absolutely everything from changing my diet to different probiotics. Absolutely nothing helps. I’m on GI number 2 with no help/advice and it’s absolutely frustrating. I’m also over the constant worrying.

So my questions:
How long did it take you to return to normal BMs?
Did any of you have the inflammation?
Did any of you have mucus and blood post c diff/with post infectious IBS?

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: When did you return to normal?

Postby Musings » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 pm

I am over two years out from my bout with c.diff and it's only been in the last few months that my stools have been more consistently "normal" and were all over the place for the first 6-12 months as I really, really struggled with PI-IBS which seems to be fairly common. In your case, the hormones from pregnancy can also affect your GI functioning.

Mucus is normal with IBS but blood is not. Has your doctor explained/investigated the source of the blood (hemmorroids, fissure, etc.)?

KatieW
New User

Re: When did you return to normal?

Postby KatieW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 pm

That’s comforting to know that maybe it’s “normal” to still not be normal yet ha. My symptoms started pre pregnancy but it’s definitely made them worse, unfortunately.

I have noticed sometimes I’ll get bad stomach cramps followed by the mucus. My doctor isn’t concerned he said as he believes it’s PI-IBS. He hasn’t checked for the source of bleeding because in my colonoscopy by the other GI, it was noted that I have internal and external hems. So he believes that’s the bleeding since it only happened a few times and not again.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”