Dificid making me feel more sick

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mattzkie
New User

Dificid making me feel more sick

Postby mattzkie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 am

Today is my second day of a 14-days 2 times a day course of Dificid. This is the first course i ever had dificid. For some reason, i feel more nauseous and i feel like i need to go have a BM more often than before i started taking Dificid. Should i worry or should i think of this as just the side effects of it? I had 3 courses of Vancomycin over the past 7 months (two 10-day courses and one 7-week taper) and i still relapsed on Cdiff for the fourth time my doctor finally contacted her ID colleague and recommended for me to take this course of Dificid. This has been the toughest 7 months of my life and frankly its really exhausting and taking a toll on my mentality and my family.

roy
Administrator

Re: Dificid making me feel more sick

Postby roy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:01 pm

In earlier posts you indicate your being treated on test results and not on typical c.diff symptoms.
You might get better advice if you actually consult a GI or ID Dr who is experianced with C.diff.
If your Dr is treating untill you get a negative test you might have a lot of unnecessary treatment!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm

I would absolutely see a GI or ID who you become established with at this point. Months of medication also is very tough on the gut. I was on Vanco for months, then on Dificid for 10 days, during the 10 days I had no issues on it.
Unfortunately for me...I did relapse and went on a long DIficid taper. It was very difficult for me to take, I felt sick most of the time on the taper and off the taper.

I saw a few GI's and an ID due to the length of time and the relapses.

I always recommend another opinion if you relapse and are not getting better

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:41 am

Mattzkie, are you still taking dificid? Have your symptoms gotten any better?

Dificid, a very expensive medication, has been shown to be the best medication against C-diff. I hope that you continued to take it and you have started to feel better. If dificid fails then another fairly successful option is Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT).

Anyway, I hope that the dificid works and relieves you of your long struggle to recover from this awful, miserable disease.

Best of luck and health! Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

mattzkie
New User

Postby mattzkie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:57 am

Machaon, I am on Day 6 of my 14-day course of Dificid, as of now I am still feeling more nauseous constantly throughout the day and i still feel gassy, abdominal noises and movements/bubbling, weakness/fatigue and other symptoms but i don't wanna contact my doctor about it yet I am trying to give the dificid a chance to see if my symptoms get better i have 8 more days of it and i have a follow up appointment with an ID that my doctor referred me to in 4 days. My Bm are all over the place and i didnt really have a diarrhea 3+ a day in the first place even before testing positive for PCR toxin B on January 24th and even before all of my other 3 relapses with positive pcr results i never had more than 3+ wet stools so i dont really know anymore perhaps ill find out more answers from my ID visit in 6 days.

The symptoms that were bothering me the most are nausea, gas, bloating,abdominal discomfort, weakness/fatigue and lightheadedness more than diarrhea.

I am just hoping this Dificid finally kick this cdiff out of my system for good.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Dificid can be harsh to take, if you look up the side effects it's all listed there. My first 10 days I did OK. after that it was a very long road for me on a long taper. I did not feel well on it, or even off it but it was the only thing that worked for me. Recovery can be slow

It takes time to get through the meds and then heal. I used "Sea Bands" for the nausea for a very long time.

The BM's can be all over the place for some time even after the medication

Hang in there

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”