What happens now

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Robbie
New User

What happens now

Postby Robbie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 am

I take my last vanco on Monday. I've been on a long taper. Can you all tell me what to expect as I go forward? I've had some really good days lately and some really bad ones. I've never had diarrhea again, but there have been days when I've had several formed bms that almost look normal! I can say that pre cdiff,I was one of those who had several normal bms again and some IBS. My doctor told me I should be cured, but from reading these boards, I know that's not always the case. I don't want to panic if all I'm experiencing are IBS symptoms. And if I am, what can they be? Just want to be prepared. I've worked so hard on my anxiety, even seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist. Should I continue to eat bland? I tried to branch out a bit, and I think that might be why the last couple of days were tough. I would appreciate as much input as possible. Thank you so much. I really need this information.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: What happens now

Postby Musings » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:09 pm

I was one of many who developed PI-IBS after c.diff and its treatment. Recovery is a bumpy road and there is a good chance that your stools may be all over the place (mine were for close to a year) and you may develop a "new normal" (this has happened with me). It can be stressful, and anxiety-inducing, but try to remember the 3+ episodes of WD for 3+ days and not worry too much over an occasional episode. Stick with bland food, introduce new food slowly, and try to stay positive :-)

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 pm

I agree with Musings great advice and add that you should not be tempted to test to prove it's gone.
Symptoms alone are the only proof of cure and you can test positive for a long time after treatment.
Bad days without diarrhea are not a sign of c.diff.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Thank you both for your replies. So, unless I have 3 days of watery diarrhea 3x a day, it could just be PI IBS? My stomach hurts so much today. I’ve had two large solid bms. Nothing approaching diarrhea. Just the stomachache, and some gas and bloating. Trying to stay calm. Please reply again. This could be normal recovery symptoms? Thank you. This support board is invaluable.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:45 pm

ANYTHING apart from frequent watery diarrhea is normal recovery.
Measles causes spots, A cold makes you sneeze, c.diff causes diarrhea!
It's all about symptoms!

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm on the same schedule you are , Robbie. I've had good and bad days too. I finish my taper next week. Roy, can one just have bad recovery days that are due to IBS? All the other symptoms, like pan, bloating and gas are normal recovery?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Recovery takes time. I felt very well on Vanco for 3 months, I knew when I did relapse, it was a very short period after that. I did not feel well on Dificid or off Dificid, it was a very slow road for me. It has taken time and the gut needs to heal.

Everyone has a different experience, some finish up the medication and do great, its hard to know how it will be for each person. There are so many that DO get post IBS which I did have, I watch my diet and went "bland" when things acted up.
Things can be "all over the place" and often there becomes a new normal. Try not to panic, know that it take time....and for some of us that is alot of time.
You will get through this. allow your body to heal

NanciT

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Everyone's recovery is a bit different but would say that what your experiencing is most likely tied to IBS than it is c.diff since you have an absence of diarrhea. When I had bad days, I went back to a very bland diet (white rice, grilled/baked chicken, chicken noodle/rice soup, etc.) to give my stomach/GI a chance to relax and then went back to slightly more flavorful options.

I remember the hold anxiety had on me during c.diff and throughout recovery so would recommend taking a break from this site and try to focus on something else - pick up new books, dive into a video game, start watching a new TV show, etc. Thinking only about c.diff is a vicious cycle and anxiety can have a direct effect on your bowels.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:27 pm

thank you, Musings. I'm scared today. I was warned that the anxiety can really kick in when you are off all meds. It makes sense, since being on vanco is like a security blanket. Everyone says that recovery can be bumpy. Can someone explain what is happening in my gut for all these symptoms to be IBS and not c diff? I'm one if those people who needs to be understand what is happening so I can feel more in control. Also, I have several bowel movements a day. I always have. My Dr says the frequency doesn't matter as long as they are not watery for 3 or more days. Is that correct? Thank you again for all who respond. You have all helped me so much.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Robbie
Are you posting using several names?
Your IP address is shown on my admin page and your not the only poster using it.
I dont know if we should call you Robbie, Bern or even Sevla!

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Just saw this, Roy. For sure not me.. I live and travel to different places but never used a different user name..

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”