Question About Test for C. Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ryanrum
Brand New Poster

Question About Test for C. Diff

Postby ryanrum » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Late this summer I tested positive for C. Diff after an antibiotic treatment for a sinus infection. After 2 courses of vancomycin it seemed like the symptoms had gone away. I finished my last course around Thanksgiving. Since that time I have not had would I would call normal bowel movements. I don't necessarily have diarrhea but very loose stool and my gut just does not seem normal. I've been supplementing with probiotics and eating and drinking foods high in probiotics but still I'm bloated and uncomfortable more than I ever have been.

I'm keeping a food journal to try and figure out what might be triggering my gut issues. I was lactose intolerant before CD but now it seems I might also have a gluten intolerance. Not sure if there is a link between gluten and CD.

My question is should I get tested again for CD, I live in a very rural area and the nearest gastroenterologist is 2.5 hours away.

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Question About Test for C. Diff

Postby sammyp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Loose stool doesn't necessarily mean CDiff. Three episodes of watery D for three or more days would denote an active infection. Otherwise, it could very well be post infectious IBS which myself and many others here dealt with for months or longer after active infection. Please do not test again - after having CDiff, your result could likely be positive without the presence of an active infection. The best way to treat is based on symptoms alone. Hence, the three day rule.

It seems to me like you're consuming a lot of probiotic food. I can understand the appeal but for some of us, it does more harm than good. I can't handle many probiotic foods or probiotic pills. I get bloating, stomach pains, and loose stools from them. The only ones I can tolerate okay are miso soup and fermented pickles. The rest give me terrible IBS symptoms. You may want to tone it down on probiotic products to see if your issues lighten up. Sometimes with probiotics, less is more and for some people none is best. After you give your stomach a rest, you can add them back in one by one over the course of a few weeks to see which ones you can tolerate and which ones you can't.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 am

After dealing with Cdiff , especially in early recovery you will have all kinds of abnormal stool , anything other then frequent D is not unusual after CDiff . If you suspect that gluten is giving you issues just cut it off for a week or two and see how you do without it. Also try to stick to one brand of probiotic , too much of that can also give you discomfort.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm

After C. diff I think I became intolerant of cow milk protein. Even one spoonful of regular or lactose free yogurt gives me gas and loose stools. Eventually I became brave enough to try goat milk yogurt - and discovered that I tolerate it just fine (now I don't even notice the goaty/barnyard overtones). So you may have to test (by temporary elimination) what you are eating to make sure that you are not inadvertently sabotaging yourself.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:57 am

There is no reason to test as you do not have c diff symptoms. Continue to eliminate foods that may be causing symptoms and ease up on probiotics and high fiber foods. If gluten seems to bother you continue to eliminate those. Try to eliminate foods one at a time so you can see which show an improvement as it is eliminated. This is typical recovery and a new normal as your gut recovers from c diff. Just hang in there.

bubbe1
New User

Postby bubbe1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi,

I couldn't find the,new post button so I m posting here.

I would like to know if it is possible for someone to have C. diff if they have all the symptoms but negative C.Diff tests.

My husband, age 72, was exposed to C.diff when I had it. He has all the symptoms and is now in the hospital due to severe diarrhea (watery), abdominal pain and dehydration. However, the 2 tests he had came back negative.

It seems like a strange coincidence that he would develop an intestinal illness that is not C.Dif at the same time that he was exposed to my C.Diff.

The docs at the hospital want him to have a colonoscopy to see if they can find out what is causing his illness, since they have ruled out C. Diff but he is so sick and weak that I am worried about him having that procedure,especially if he has C.diff that is going undetected.

Any feedback or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Laurie

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:23 pm

If they cant find what's wrong a colonoscopy is apropriate.
They will take samples during the procedure and test those for c.diff, they would also be able to see c.diff damage as it has an obvious appearance.
You were no risk to your husband, you had c.diff but over 5 years he would also be exposed to it many many times in his general day to day life.
Has he been on antibiotics in the last few months?
Even if he has been C.diff only accounts for 1 in 5 cases of antibiotic D.
Theres many causes so hopefully the Drs will investigate fully.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Go to board index
Select a section such as general discussion
top right click on new topic and then write a new post.

bubbe1
New User

Postby bubbe1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Thank you for your reply, Roy.

In answer to your question, no, my husband has not been on antibiotics recently.

Laurie

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:24 pm

In that case it's unlikely to be c.diff.
Trust his Drs judgment, hopefully it's just temporary but you need to make sure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”