Antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hopenow
Regular User

Antibiotics

Postby hopenow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 am

Hi All,

I am still somewhat in recovery with a lot of constant abdominal pain and various weird BMs despite last testing positive in November.

I have to have dental treatment, a filling and crown and I am sure he will tell me I need antibiotics. What do I do???

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotics

Postby AllisS » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:12 pm

You do not need antibiotics for a filling and a crown. I'd be surprised if any reputable dentist would actually suggest that. If my dentist tried to get me to take an antibiotic for such a procedure I'd find another dentist.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 pm

I agree!
No dentist should suggest antibiotics for fillings, crowns, root canals or even extractions unless theres a valid reason for them.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Very FEW dental procedures need antibioitcs. Post CDIFF I have had extractions, root canals, crowns etc. I went to see an endodontist for the root canals because there was infection involved. Fortunately, he felt I could get through the procedure and we watched closely after the procedure.
It's really important to explain to your dentist the illness you went through.

Good luck

NanciT

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Thank you for the advice all.

Luckily, the dentist despite a small infection did not feel the need for antibiotics which was a massive relief, as I would have declined them anyway.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:54 pm

One thing I used was Periodox, its an antibacterial rinse and works great. You can check with your dentist

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”