Recently Diagnosed

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recently Diagnosed

Postby AllisS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 am

I've found that a product called Proctozone-HC is better for hemorrhoids than OTC products such as Preparation H. I think I needed a script for it; you could ask your dr to call it into your pharmacy.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

schism
Regular User

Postby schism » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the "C Diff Toxin PCR" test is actually looking at? I found this description on the c diff foundation website:

"Molecular tests: FDA approved PCR assays, test for the gene encoding toxin B, are highly sensitive and specific for the presence of a toxin-producing Clostridium difficile organism."

So apparently it's looking at/for toxin B, but it also says it looks for "the presence of a toxin-producing Clostridium difficile organism". So does this test not actually look for the toxins themselves? If that were the case then people whom are carriers but not infected would sometimes test positive for this as well? It seems like info on the net indicates that the toxin PCR pretty much says you have active disease, but I don't understand why the recommendation then is to start with other tests first.

I also found this description, "This FDA approved assay detects the toxin B gene sequence of Clostridium difficile. Testing for C. difficile should be limited to patients with appropriate signs and symptoms of C. difficile-associated disease, as some people may be asymptomatically colonized with toxigenic C. difficile. This test is only for patients of at least 2 years of age".

So for these people who have c diff, but not active infections...if they ever get diarrhea from say poor diet, a virus, other bacteria, and they go to the hospital for it, about 10 times out of 10 they'll be (incorrectly) treated for c diff I am assuming?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Your statement is correct.
C.diff can be a normal gut bacteria and not cause disease but its detectable if tested for.
PCR amplifies the gene that is present in c.diff that is responsible for toxin B, it does not look for the actual toxin.
It is VERY sensitive (as in amplifys!) and detects a lot of asymptomatic "infections" that dont need treating
Hence the reason it should only be done on loose stool and only when the patients symptoms indicate c.diff as a disease.

You can have a bucket full of c.diff and tons of toxin BUT if you dont have D theres no disease and no need to treat.
Treating in that situation can be harmfull.

schism
Regular User

Postby schism » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:12 pm

But even if you do have D it could be D due to other causes, but any hospital is going to assume it’s from c diff since the PCR was positive and begin treatment.

This really sucks for people that carry it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Other causes usually resolve in a few days, c.diff gets progressively worse and then needs treating with antibiotics. (although even c.diff can often be a self limiting disease and resolves within a few days in at least 20% of cases).

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Roy,
I have probably asked this before but I like how you worded your last response, so I'm just going to ask again, to clarify. My fear is that IF a person is a carrier of C Diff, is it possible for the illness to become active at any time? Or would it need something such as an antibiotic to trigger it? Are there other ways that a person's body can become under attack of C Diff without using an antibiotic?
Thanks!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 pm

A carrier status is quite common, around 1 in 20 "normal" people are carriers and in hospital that can rise to 1 in 4.
Most do not become sick with c.diff.
For it to become an illness it needs our natural immunity that has developed in humans over thousands of years to be compromised by something.
Either a severe illness, consuming something that alters our gut flora or most commonly antibiotics.
Recent studies have shown artificial sweeteners and OTC pain meds might also be causing gut flora problems.
A healthy gut means no c.diff.
My own opinion is that once you have c.diff it's not so much the possibility of being colonized that might cause future problems.
It's the fact that your natural immunity has already shown that whatever allowed c.diff to overgrow (probably antibiotics) might cause the same damage in future and let in a brand new infection.
Interestingly the 1 in 20 that test positive today will be a diferent 1 in 20 in a few months time.
Our body kicks out c.diff very efficiently and being colonized for life is probably not going to happen.

In fact "colonised without symptoms" is the aim of any vaccination!
Being colonized for a while might even prevent a stronger disease causing strain taking up residence.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Thank you... Thank you!!

schism
Regular User

Postby schism » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:40 pm

So I’m beginning to freak out. I’ve had bad diarrhea for a day now.

Here is what’s strange. After really giving my situation a lot of thought I determined that what I may have is a GI yeast infection. Remember I got an itchy bum about 4 days after antibiotics 3 months ago. Itchy bum has continued ever since then. I do have a hemorrhoid which as of the last 2 weeks is essentially non existent yet I still get itchy rectum when feces touches my bum. I really feel as tho it’s something in the feces making it itch and it’s not my small hemorrhoid has its never given me issues prior to antibiotic and the fact it started right after antibiotics is inidicitive of something like yeast overgrowth.

Anyhow, I figured out that before my 3-4 day bout of diarrhea the first time I was taking CBD oil and the oil in the CBD is MCT oil. I was taking droppers full 2-3 times a day for a couple days then diarrhea started. I continued CBD/MCT another day into diarrhea before realizing it was maybe causing it. Then on day 4 I went into doc and asked to be tested for c diff and they did and it was positive so I began vancomycin. But diarrhea stopped that same day. MCT and coconut oil are strong antifungsls of yeast. So this got me thinking well maybe that’s all it was this whole time is just my body ridding dead yeast. Also, my diarrhea doesn’t smell awful and it does smell almost doughy/yeasty.

Now fast forward to now. I’m done with Vanco and have been for over a week. My BMs have been good every morning. I decided that maybe I really do have yeast infection so I ended up consuming around 2.5 tablespoons of coconut oil without working myself into it slowly and hours later I have bad diarrhea that has that same smell of doughyish and has not stopped. It’s been a full day. Now I’m freaking out because I don’t know for sure if it’s just coconut oil that has caused this or if I have c diff. It makes sense that the one thing I changed was adding coconut oil and now I have bad shits but it also could be relapse. I really feel like I need to wait at least 4 days before going back into doctor to see if it subsides because last time this happened it sure seems like day 4 I was getting over diarrhea naturally then I threw in Vanco cuz I tested c diff. If I go in they’ll surely put me on more antibiotics.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:58 pm

If you keep posting that your symptoms of c.diff are that you have an itchy bum I will freak out as well!
Not being unsympathetic but when c.diff causes disease it's a serious situation, I am here because it killed my mother and want to help others going through a serious illness.
Not to advise about an itchy bum or to support someone who takes something that has a laxative effect then wonders why they have D!

schism
Regular User

Postby schism » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Roy,

I really appreciate your posts. I’m not trying to aggrevate anyone about my itchy bum and claim it’s c diff related. I’m just on here for support. I am definitely a hypochondriac and I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong with me. Doctor would test my D and say yep you have c diff and treat it again and I’m really really not convinced that’s what it is given these other symptoms and events that have happened. I guess I’m just looking for confirmation and advice on how to handle this situation I’m in.

I’m genuinely concerned I have c diff and I’ve already been treated for it once.

I know coconut oil can have laxative effects but for 3+ days and having to go 10 or so times a day?

I’m just very discouraged that it feels as tho I can’t trust my doctors to treat me correctly and I also don’t know what’s truly wrong and I’m having to try and piece things togther myself.

schism
Regular User

Postby schism » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:30 pm

I’ve had watery D prolly 12-15 times so far today. I have tenesmus as well and it’s very uncomfortable.

Guys I am so worried and scared.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:09 am

If you have that frequency you should call your doctor. 15 bouts of D in one day indicates that Cdiff might have returned . Try to keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water .

schism
Regular User

Postby schism » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am

What would be the best next treatment if I do have c diff again? This would be first reoccurrence.

Should it be Vanco taper? Dificid? I heard dificid is more narrow spectrum and thus less harmful to your gut. I don’t have a problem with paying for it if it’s a better option.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:47 am

Dificid is definitely the best option. It is designed to target only clostridia , spares the good flora and ,unlike Vanco , Dificid can stop the sporing process , it won't allow the bacteria to hide back into spore form

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”