Hope you can help me

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bern
Regular User

Re: Hope you can help me

Postby Bern » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Now I don’t know what to do. She really wants to rule out crohns. I’m still having some stomach pain but that could also just be normal recovery, right? Now I’m scared. I don’t want a relapse, I’ve come so far. I’ve had c diff since July....

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Only you know what your current symptoms are.
I would judge my own decision on "if I had never heard of c.diff would my current symptoms worry me enough to have a colonoscopy".
If the answers yes you have made your decision.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:52 pm

roy wrote:
> Hate to say this but from my experiance after 11 years on this site is that
> a colonoscopy DOES carry a significant risk of causing a c.diff relapse.
> Several posters have relapsed within a few days of what appeared to be a
> normal/clear colonoscopy.

I read something recently of a study that was conducted of colonoscopy scopes which found high levels of bacteria on scopes that were not properly cleaned. And it was occurring more frequently than anticipated. Apparently there is a particular model of scope that is especially hard to clean. I'll see if I can find the article or study where I read that.

Edit: Here's the link to the article: https://www.investors.com/politics/colu ... infection/

Jd1958
Brand New Poster

Postby Jd1958 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Tomorrow will be my first day off Vanco. This is my second round. I am so nervous of a relapse and really do not know what to look for. As I read these posts it sounds like I won’t be normal for quite some time. My biggest concern is if I do have a few bouts of diarrhea, how do most of you manage going to work? Fortunately I have not missed any work since my issues started back in late October (I was misdiagnosed with travelers diarrhea). However I was using Imodium but my Gastro doctor discouraged the use of Imodium. I did have a colonoscopy after my first round of Vanco and she did biopsies. That is where it was confirmed that my C diff was back after the first dose was complete. I do hope this ends soon as it is it really messes with your mind.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 am

I had a colonoscopy after c diff to rule out Crohn’s or another IBD however...my GI agreed there was no rush and we could wait at least 6-9 months unless my symptoms got significantly worse. They did not improve but did not get worse so I don’t remember how long I waited, but it was probably 9 months or more.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 am

Bern
There are other ways to rule out IBD that can be done without having to go trough that awful colonoscopy prep . There is the Calprotectin fecal test that shows if you have inflammation in the gut and there is also the option for the flexible rectosigmoidoscopy that requires only a liquid diet 12 hours before the procedure and a gentle enema in the morning of the procedure.

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks everyone. I will think it over and discuss with my doctor. What timeframe would you recommend if I put it off?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”