Possible Overtreatment?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
YourCake
Brand New Poster

Possible Overtreatment?

Postby YourCake » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 pm

I finished a course of 14 day Vancomycin back in November and felt fine since(no diarrhea/Mucus/blood) and in December Ive noticed black specks in my stool and got anxious and told my GI doc. He order some stool test and they came back negative for blood but I didn't know he also retested for c.diff and that came back positive for toxin b. He going to prescribe dificid saying that I'm contagious this time and I honestly feel normal besides having lost a little too much weight and the occasional questionable anxiety inducing stool(specks/tiny bit of mucus on stool).

Side note most of my stools are a 4 on the Bristol stool chart or a 3 and a 2.

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Possible Overtreatment?

Postby sammyp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm

No symptoms = no treatment

Many healthy people carry CDiff in their guts and many people with a history of CDiff test positive for a long time after treatment. If you're not having copious watery D, there's no need to treat. Unfortunately it sounds like your doc hasn't read recent research about overtreating and treating based on symptoms only on those with CDiff history. Of course, it's your choice but if you're still unsure I'd go get a second opinion before I started taking any meds.

Also black speck on stools can be caused by a wide variety of things. Diet, meds, etc. I get them when I take Pepto, for example.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible Overtreatment?

Postby AllisS » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 pm

You need to find a new GI dr, in my opinion.Treating on the basis of a positive stool test in the absence of C. diff symptoms is ill-advised on his part. If you were to take Dificid under these circumstances it would create new problems. His advice that you are somehow "contagious" is based on what? Even people with active C. diff -- which isn't what you have -- aren't "contagious" in conditions of normal, everyday life.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”