EIA testing questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Taraph
New User

EIA testing questions

Postby Taraph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Sorry to be a bother. I am in “obsessive info gathering” mode. My healthy 6-yo daughter had a positive EIA toxin a and b stool test, but this was on a solid stool and she hasn’t had D for 11 days at this point. We tested because she HAD v and d for almost 2 weeks due to what the ped thinks was viral, but this c diff test is making me so confused.

I’ve read that the toxin test is sort of the confirmation test and is indicative of an active infection, although I did find one study that noted this test had false positives in 1/3 of a pediatric sample.

I’m just so confused - she is asymptomatic and has been for days. Her (likely viral) D stopped WHILE she was on abx for a UTI, not after it was discontined. Is there a chance the toxin is evident because she is a carrier? Or could it be a false positive? Or, could she have had a mild CDI infection that was self-limiting in the past that was reactivated by the abx she was on when the stool was cultured, even tough she doesn’t have D anymore? Her p

Her sample was 5-6 days old when I dropped it at the lab because of the New Year holiday (it was in the fridge after collection), but I would think if anything, this would make it less sensitive. But could this have skewed it positive?

She was prescribed Flagyl but we are holding off on giving anything because she doesn’t have D.

roy
Administrator

Re: EIA testing questions

Postby roy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:51 pm

No D means no disease.
Stool that old is no good for testing so dont trust the result.
A sample can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours, or frozen for a week.
A sample contaminated with urine is also unreliable
C.diff (as a disease) is caused by the hosts response to the toxin, if it does not make you sick then it does not need treating!
Its 100% possible to be immune and not become ill, in fact that's exactly how a tetanus vaccine works and is how a future c.diff vaccine will work.
You still get the bacteria, it still produces toxin but you dont get sick.
I would call that a PERFECT situation and the only reason a vaccine is possible is because it occurs naturally
Treating now, especially with flagyl, could destroy the very immunity that she has built up and result in an active infection.
C.diff is a natural gut inhabitant and alone its not a disease, c.diff colitis is the disease and she has no sign of that.

Taraph
New User

Postby Taraph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response and your knowledge! I’m trying to relax, but I tend to have serious health anxiety about my kids so this is tough.

She does have some mucus in her formed stools, but her ped said that is normal after a gastro illness. That’s the only indication of any gut issues now.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm

In my research, everything I've read says that some people are able to recover from C. Diff without any treatment, and for those people, their odds of a successful recovery are higher and odds of a recurrence are lower than people who treat with antibiotics. Everything I've read says that if a person does not have C. Diff symptoms, he/she should not treat for C. Diff. even if there is a positive test.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Just to stress, Roy’s answer is about as clear and concise as one can get and your dr was just as clear in explaining that an irritated gut can cause mucous on the stool.

Try to relax. Worrying about one’s child is the worst!

Taraph
New User

Postby Taraph » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks again. She’s been fine since posting, but then today had some mushy stool that she called a “poop-splosion.” It wasn’t watery, and we are all battling a cold that seems to have a gastro element, so I’m remaining hopeful here!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”