EIA testing questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Taraph
New User

EIA testing questions

Postby Taraph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Sorry to be a bother. I am in “obsessive info gathering” mode. My healthy 6-yo daughter had a positive EIA toxin a and b stool test, but this was on a solid stool and she hasn’t had D for 11 days at this point. We tested because she HAD v and d for almost 2 weeks due to what the ped thinks was viral, but this c diff test is making me so confused.

I’ve read that the toxin test is sort of the confirmation test and is indicative of an active infection, although I did find one study that noted this test had false positives in 1/3 of a pediatric sample.

I’m just so confused - she is asymptomatic and has been for days. Her (likely viral) D stopped WHILE she was on abx for a UTI, not after it was discontined. Is there a chance the toxin is evident because she is a carrier? Or could it be a false positive? Or, could she have had a mild CDI infection that was self-limiting in the past that was reactivated by the abx she was on when the stool was cultured, even tough she doesn’t have D anymore? Her p

She was prescribed Flagyl but we are holding off on giving anything because she doesn’t have D.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: EIA testing questions

Postby MKW » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi, based on everything I know after participating on this board since August 2016, you should hold off.
Doctors are supposed to treat based on symptoms. And Flagyl is no longer recommended as treatment - look up current IDSA/SHEA guidelines.
I am sure a moderator that can provide you with clearer facts than me will respond to you soon :-) hang in there.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: EIA testing questions

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 am

I think I answered this same question yesterday, but if she is not having symptoms, then treatment is usually not indicated. I second what MKW said about Flagyl. The side effects can be serious - neurological mostly. If she gets D back again, and still tests positive, I would ask the pediatrician for vanco. But, she seems to be getting better on her own. I treated mild symptoms and then I could not get rid of my c diff and wound up getting FMT.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”