Root canal and antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
slplkaye
Regular User

Root canal and antibiotics

Postby slplkaye » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello all! I was a frequently visitor to this board last year after my c diff diagnosis. I was diagnosed after taking clindamycin for a brown recluse bite. I only took one course of vancomycin and my stomach still isn't back to normal. I have a tooth that had a root canal and crown about three years ago. It has been hurting again, so I went to the dentist today. My dentist stated that the tooth seems to be a "little infected" and recommended that I start antibiotics before having the root canal redone next week. When I told him about having c diff last year, he stated that I would need to talk to my doctor first and OF COURSE my doctor is on vacation. I do not have fever or swelling and I am not in severe pain. Is it common practice to prescribe antibiotics prior to a root canal? I spoke to the endodontist on the phone and he said I should be fine until next week unless I noticed swelling or fever. My anxiety is getting the best of me and I have fully convinced myself that I will be septic before I can have the root canal redone next week. I've also convinced myself that I will have another round of c diff if I take antibiotics. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

roy
Administrator

Re: Root canal and antibiotics

Postby roy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:22 pm

American dentists seem to over prescribe antibiotics as a precaution before root canal but UK dentists never prescribe them.
I have had 4 done.
The blood supply to a tooth is minimal and antibiotics do not reach the infection.
Fat face needs treating but not a simple shadow on an xray that suggests a minor infection.
That's cleaned out during the procedure and is the reason for doing a root canal in the first place!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:27 pm

You may want to see an Endodontist who specializes in root Canals. That is generally all they do. I have sadly had several root canals Post CDIFF and was not required to take antibiotcs. It really does depend on how infected the tooth is.

Wishing you the best with this

NanciT

slplkaye
Regular User

Postby slplkaye » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:28 pm

Thank you so much. I have tried to be so careful about taking antibiotics since last year and I really don't want to take them now.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:11 pm

While my dentist, who I love, always seems to suggest antibiotics, my endodontist does not require them and says unless I have a severe gum infection antibiotics are not indicated and the infection is cleared up with the root canal....so I just call him and make an appointment!
Don’t get anxious. This has happened to me more than once. Happy New Year.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”