Everyday life and C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amila
Regular User

Everyday life and C Diff

Postby Amila » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello all,

I have a quick question, probably for Roy, because he always, at least to me, sounds so reasonable: once a person had C DIff infection, and was successfully treated, is it safe to practice 'normal' hand hygiene, or should such a person be always vigilant? It can be very tiring - I have become sort of a germaphobe after C DIff ( soon will be three years out), always aware of my surroundings , especially if I am about to eat. It requires strict focus of the mind, sort of hyper-vigilance, and eventually, after three years, I realized that I had become basically severely OCD about it. So, the other day I wanted a snack, bought some crackers in a store, paid with debit card, which included punching my pin... and then, I had a couple of those crackers holding it what that same hand, before I realized what I had done. I froze from fear. I know this is not really normal, but the fear from C Diff never went away. Should we really worry about everyday normal life situations like this ? What are the ways to let go a little?

Thank you in advance.

roy
Administrator

Re: Everyday life and C Diff

Postby roy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:29 pm

If you realise that your entire immune system has been built by ingesting viruses, fungi, bacteria, parasites, etc in just the way you describe (by coming into direct contact) you might be able to relax a little!
Dirt, within reason is actually good for us!
It's when we meddle with nature and disturb or avoid the natural immunity processes that the problems begin.
Normal hygiene is enough.
All the things you read about c.diff and many other bugs being highly contagious are aimed at the hospital environment where sick people are and some types of bacteria can be dangerous to them.
Hospitals should be clean but they are not and most of what you read (and worry about) is hospital related.

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Roy,

Thank you very much! You certainly are the sound of reason, and it helps a lot.

Best wishes and best of health to you, and to all on the Forum, for New Year!

Amila

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:11 am

I can relate, Amila. My own germphobia predates my C. diff (which was in 2012), though prior to C. diff I'd do such things as eat food while visiting someone in a hospital without first washing my hands; I no longer do that. But vigilance 24/7 (discounting time spent sleeping) becomes oppressive, and besides, doesn't guarantee that illness -- whether C. diff or something else -- won't ever occur.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”