Terrible anxiety

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Robbie
New User

Terrible anxiety

Postby Robbie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm

I startedmy every other day taper and today was the first day I didn't take the vanco. My anxiety is so bad and my belly hurts.
I had one very well formed bm this morning. Is it common to have this stomach ache while tapering? Im watching what I eat, but I hurt. It's scaring me. Could it be my anxiety? what do I look for as I taper?

roy
Administrator

Re: Terrible anxiety

Postby roy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Anything other than the return of frequent watery D is normal.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Anxiety is VERY common, especially when completing the medication. As far as pain, I had quite a bit throughout, more actually after I had my final treatment. I used a heating pad everyday which did help. It takes time to recover, I felt better on Vanco than off it.

Give yourself time to recover, there are alot of threads on the site regarding anxiety because it is so common

You are not alone

NanciT

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:27 am

Stomach aches are extremely common and cab can continue well into treatment as well as into recovery. I had them for over two months after completing Vanco and then slowly I went more and more days in between without them

Anxiety may be the most common symptom I read about during treatment and recovery. I'm 4.5 months past treatment and still anxious about reoccurring. I still have trouble driving too far from home, being places without an accessible bathroom, and I restrict a lot of foods because eating the wrong thing might give me D and make me think it's back. But, the anxiety has lessened very gradually over time. During and directly after my taper/pulse was the worst. I'd highly recommend mental health support in the form of therapy or meds if you aren't already. Your anxiety may get worse before it gets better once your treatment ends. It's a highly stressful period because of the worry of reoccurance. Please know you aren't alone. Everything you're experiencing common during treatment and recovery.
Last edited by sammyp on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:40 am

I finished my last dose of Vanco on December 20 and I was really nervous and anxious about it. I think anxiety and even depression from C. Diff are very common. I'm actually curious whether any studies have been done whether C. Diff or the toxins it releases cause some kind of chemical change in the body that leads to anxiety or depression because the mental distress caused by C. Diff seems different than other types of infections which also leave people home bound for long periods of time.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:58 am

Your original question was what to look for while you taper and Roy answered it. Anything except several instances of watery d, 3 or more per day, is normal. Your gut has been through a severe infection and pain is common and may be exacerbated by anxiety. Nancy gave you some hints. You have not been at it so long. I would not panic. This is uncomfortable but normal and as she said, many of us have been through the same thing and you are not alone. There are also relaxation exercises you can check out. You will get better.

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:55 pm

I’m having anxiety too as I taper down to every two days. I see a therapist and am on meds. They may help you too. It seems everyone experiences fear, but it looks like everyone eventually gets well so we just have to believe that and hold on to it. I was given some great advice to take it one day at a time, if not one hour at a time. Are you seeing your GP or. GI?

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I think I may need to get some help with the anxiety. It feels almost paralyzingly at times. My GP has been treating me, but I'm wondering if I do need to see a GI. Couid there be something else going on? Do I need a colonoscopy or bloodwork? Just trying to cover all my bases. Thank you again for helping me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:13 pm

It doesn’t hurt to have a GI on board who is knowledgable in c diff for follow up or in case of any further treatment needs. It doesn’t sound as though anything out of the ordinary is going on but a GI dr is often more up to date and maybe you will feel more assured. I had a GI treat me when I had c diff and for all follow up.
And if your anxiety is getting out of control, therapy and/or meds might be in order to help you cope,as well as other coping and relaxation strategies.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I think I will get a referral for a GI. I'm feeling so anxious today. No bm at all today, but lots of discomfort. Why is that? Isn't it supposed to be getting better? Is skipping doses the reason? I only have to worry if there is wartery diarrhea? Sorry for all the questions, but I feel like I know nothing about the recovering period.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm

As I said above, stomach pain is very common during both treatment and into recovery. Sometimes it can be quite severe. There may not be a reason other than your guts have been through the ringer, they're irritated and inflamed. It will take time to heal. For some it's a lot of time. CDiff is not a take a med and feel 100% kind of illness. It's a long road requiring patience. If you don't have watery D three or more times a Day for three consecutive days, you're in normal recovery.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Thank you Sammyp, that makes sense. I knew nothing about this illness until it happened to me. I listened to a podcast yesterday that said it takes 3 months for a whole new intestinal lining.... can one expect some resolution of symptoms around then? Maybe not complete healing, but some healing? I think I will go crazy waiting to feel better.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Three months is when I really started feeling a big difference in my symptoms. I'd have maybe 1 bad day a week. Sometimes 2 if I ate the wrong thing. Now I'm 4.5 months out and I have whole good weeks with the occasional random bad day (usually food or stress related). Three months is also the end of the reoccurance window so there's a drop in anxiety around that time for most people. I think having less anxiety leads to less overall symptoms.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”