Re: Possible Treatment for PI-IBS

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi all. So my question is: who among you have experience with taking meds for post c-diff symptoms, what did you take and how did it work?

I've been away from this site for two years as my last treatment (difficid) for c-diff was in December of 2016. This seemed to finally rid me of the infection which had plagued me for 6 months. To re-cap briefly I got c-diff from Clindamycin prescribed by dentist to 'prevent' infection after an implant. I had 4 bouts of c-diff between May and December of 2016 with the usual order of treatments. Since then I have been on a roller coaster of good periods and bad periods of gut issues. Lately, bad. I have eliminated so many things from my diet and now eat mainly organic foods and unprocessed foods. I have tested negative for IBS and Sjogren's disease but haven't been to a GI doctor in 2 years. (So the subject for this post may be misleading). I have been trying to heal my gut in more natural ways. For a while I felt I had a handle on things - diet seemed to trigger bad days. I admit to having times when I disregard common sense and I paid the price the next day or two. I also admit to being stubborn if I start eating something I've missed in my diet and can't seem to give it up despite having bad days. At times I can eat something with no side effects - other times I cannot. However, as a whole my diet is very clean. OK, that being said, I am feeling desperate enough lately to go back to a GI doctor and see if there is a medication I can take to finally eliminate the negative symptoms of D and mucous. Just curious about how other people have gained control of these ongoing problems. Thanks in advance. The leaders of this site are angels for their ongoing support and concern for people like me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:47 pm

IBS is usually diagnosed by symptoms and excluding other causes for those symptoms. Although food intolerances can last for a very long time, I personally would be very suspect 2 years after c diff that you are unable to eat more normally than you report and PI IBS is not the cause. There are several medications that can now help with that- I have taken some with good results. If your GI has not been responsive I would go for a second opinion.

I have taken Enteragam, classified as a medical food and worked well, xifaxan which helped for a year, and now require Viberzi which is great, but my symptoms had progressed.

Best of luck,
Rita

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Rita... thanks for the response. I guess my statement about food was misleading. I eat a fairly normal diet, have just given up a lot of foods like sugar and bread (gluten), etc. Still some food intolerances but I have given up ALL the things that I felt were unhealthy. I eat a LOT of veggies now. I do drink coffee still and even a glass of wine on occasion - although more than one is a no-no. No more diet this or low-fat that which is no longer necessary anyway since I lost 35 pounds. Still it has been a roller coaster and worse lately. So I guess I need to go find a good GI doctor. I am definitely leery of having a colonoscopy (do I want to put my gut through that? Is it even a good idea?)... but feeling a bit desperate these days. Thanks again. Pattie

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:38 am

Pattie

There are many things that can irritate IBS, take a look online. I am still not able to eat certain vegetables and various foods. There are medications that can help, I was given hycosamine right after I completed the rounds of medication I was on. It has taken a long time for me to recover and add back in the foods I usually eat. I am still not able to eat red meat and a variety of vegetables. Wine or any kind of alcohol is a very big irritant to me also.
This is very individual and really trial and error. Some recover faster

NanciT

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Thank you Nanci... I guess it is time to see a GI doctor. I just hate to be on meds the rest of my life. C-diff: the gift that keeps on giving. Sigh.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Pattie, it is still too soon to know how long you will need meds. According to my GI a few years ago, studies were not conclusive and not done for long enough to know how long PI IBS might take to resolve, if ever. I don’t know if there has been any updates.
It is best to concentrate on dealing with symptoms now and managing them and hoping you find the key to dealing with your specific issues.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:05 am

Everyone is affected differently if diagnosed with Post IBS. I was on medication for about a year, now I take it once in awhile. The timeline varies. I would not consider any of this as lifelong, we all hope to push through this illness and it's after effects.
The same way one round of medication may work for one, but not for another.

If symptoms persist, see your GI but know this can take time to heal

NanciT

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks Nanci and Ril... it is good to hear that it may not be a lifetime of taking meds. I guess I erroneously assumed once you started you couldn't go off it. I feel encouraged by that. Thanks so very much!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”