Scared to take Clarithromycin for sinus infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
panda18
New User

Scared to take Clarithromycin for sinus infection

Postby panda18 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:16 am

Last Sunday I started to feel symptoms of a sinus infection. No green mucus but a foul odor. In Sept I had a two week course of clindamycin and two weeks later I had my appendix got taken out. Then about 5 weeks after my appendix I had severe abdominal pain and went to the ER.

My ENT doctor ordered predisone and Clarithromycin. I started predisone on Fri 12/21 and she said if I don't start feeling better by Sunday I need to start the antibiotic.

I am so scared. I do every nasal home remedy, but a humidifier. I am buying one on 12/22.

I take minimum of two probiotic daily, sometimes 3.

I learned a lesson. Take probiotics daily even after finishing all antibiotic. I was only informed to take it during antibiotics.

Has anybody got c diff from Clarithromycin?

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Scared to take Clarithromycin for sinus infection

Postby sammyp » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:27 am

Keep in mind that most sinus infections don't need an antibiotic. Sinus infections are one of the most overtreated illnesses. They can take weeks to resolve on their own and most people don't want to wait that long so they take antibiotics. If you have a history of CDiff, I wouldn't take any antibiotics unless your Illness is life threatening. I'm not a doc but that's what I'd do if it were me. If you had an ID or GI doc during your CDiff journey, call them and ask their opinion before taking antibiotics. They'll likely tell you the same thing I just told you.

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 am

What bothers me is I've had the same symptoms for the past three years. So far 2018 has been two sinus infections.

I don't have a ID or GI doctor that worked with me during C Diff.

The location of my Sept 2018 was near brain so

I couldn't take amoxicillin a 2015-2016 because I got really bad hives/rash around my neck. . I can't recall if I had a sinus infection in 2017. 2018 was clindamycin and that landed me in the hospital.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:07 am

During my younger years, I suffered from multiple annual BACTERIAL sinus infections. Several times a year I would have to go to an ENT, get examined and then get a prescription for Amoxicillin, which would get rid of the infection for several weeks or months.

At one point, I decided to reduce the symptoms of the sinus infection with Flonase and ignore it. Sadly, after a few months, it effected my immune system and caused autoimmune problems, which made my asthma and my health extremely sensitive to chemicals and odors.

I went to an ENT, got another prescription for Amoxicillin, and then finally got rid of the infection. Soon after that, I felt that I might be getting another sinus infection. Although it was unexpected, I think I was able to prevent another sinus infection by flooding my sinuses with a protective antibacterial (diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide), until the damage within my nasal passages was healed. I've now been about 20 years without another sinus infection. I am guessing that, once the infection-caused wounds within my sinuses were healed they wouldn't re-infect! :)

I don't expect anyone to try it, especially without medical supervision, but I thought that I would post a link to the documentation just in case anyone is curious. I suffered from C-diff after taking clindamycin.

https://sinus-infections-gone.blogspot. ... th_31.html
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:57 pm

I have a lot of sinus issues.
Twice when I thought I was developing an infection I have inhaled garlic steam twice daily.
Crush a few cloves and boil them and inhale the steam.
It is a natural antimicrobial.
Both times I got better.
I also used a lot of saline nasal spray and a humidifier.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Please check the CDI section for information and suggestions about what you can try for sinus infections rather than taking antibiotics. These are things usefully used by other posters and successfully suggested by other ENT docs.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”