Probiotic question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Robbie
New User

Probiotic question

Postby Robbie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:37 pm

What does it mean when a poster says they couldn't "tolerate" a certain probiotic? I've tried a few different ones, and I feel like they set me two steps back. What do others get as symptoms of intolerance?

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Probiotic question

Postby sammyp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 pm

I have been intolerant to all the probiotics I've tried. I get bloating, gas, pain, and loose BMs. The only one I've been able to do is S. Boulardii ( aka Floraster) which is a yeast based probiotic.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:14 am

I have found that only Saccharomyces and Megasporebiotics are helping , any other probiotic i've tried gave me more GI discomfort.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:43 am

Everyone is different. I tried Florastor and a generic version of it and both gave me the worst symptoms of any of the probiotics. I, too, got gas, bloating, cramping and loose bms. I also tried Align, Culturelle and some others. The only one that I could tolerate was VSL#3 and only part of a capsule.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:26 am

I developed hydrogen SIBO and PI-IBS after recurrent c Diff. I have not been able to tolerate taking any pill probiotics since my FMT that cured me.
I get gas, cramping, and loose BM’s.
Oddly, I did fine with drinking kefir and eating yogurt.
However, my doctor has recently advised me to not consume these since they will likely worsen SIBO.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:28 pm

How soon after taking the probiotic did you all get symptoms? The same day? The next day? I can't tell what is what anymore....

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Everyone is different with how their body is processes and is affected by things so you'll get a bunch of different answers. The best thing you can do is cut out probitics and see if it helps. Then, if things get better, you can either stop taking them completely or try a different brand or type. Repeat the same cycle until you find something you can tolerate.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”