Starting Vanco after Flagyl failed

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jG43
Contributor

Starting Vanco after Flagyl failed

Postby jG43 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:16 pm

I came down with cdiff after taking clindamycin for a hand laceration. Went on Flagyl 3 times a day for 10 days. Bm returned to normal after about 5-6 days and stayed that way for a week after finishing Flagyl. Out of nowhere symptoms came back and now on Vanco 4x day for 10 days. Frequency of bm (loose d and mucus) has increased since first day of Vanco. Is this normal? Maybe the Vanco killing of c-diff and causing toxins. No fever, feel good, eating bland diet and taking 1 floragen 3 and 1 Florastor a day

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Starting Vanco after Flagyl failed

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us. Unfortunately Flagyl is no longer recommended treatment for CDIFF but since you pushed through it I will skip that. You don't mention how long after your symptoms came back but it does sound like a relapse. The Vanco can change how often you go, just watch for watery D to return. If that were to happen, call your GI. During treatment AND in recovery BM's can be all over the place so try not to be alarmed. It can take time to get back to 'Normal".
It sounds like you are feeling better so hopefully once you complete the Vanco you will be on your way

NanciT

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you so much for your response. My symptoms came back about 7days after finishing Flagyl. Went from 1 formed bm a day to urgent d on day 8. Dr ran another stool test(probably to early) which showed c-diff and inflammation. I have only finished one day of Vanco but the symptoms really increased after starting the Vanco. Since my post the symptoms seem to be resolving. I have an appetite and am starting to feel much better. Hopefully this round will knock it out for good. I am 40+ and in otherwise good health

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:20 am

I had the same thing happen and doctor told me that it takes a few days for the toxins to exit the body. The vanco kills the bacteria, but not the toxins that were already produced. If it doesn't get better in a couple of days, tell your doctor.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:46 am

Hi jG43. I hope you'll fill out an Adverse Event form (which you can access via the link at the end of my post), describing your experience with clindamycin, on the FDA's website. Clindamycin is the top-offending drug for C. diff; it's what caused my own illness, in 2012. I now list it as an allergy whenever I see a new doctor to make sure it's never given to me unless there are absolutely no other alternatives (which usually there are). It's important for the FDA to have this adverse-event data since physicians may not always be reporting it. The hope is that, in time, clindamycin won't be prescribed as casually as it continues to be.

Best wishes for your continuing recovery.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am

Thank you for the responses. Starting to feel so much better with the Vanco after 48 hours than the whole time I was on Flagyl. Was prescribed Flagyl at a weekend urgent care (also clindamycin at a weekend urgent care when I cut my hand-always seems to happen on the weekends) My regular dr was the one who started me on Vanco and I will definitely fill out an adverse event form to get the word out about how common this seems to be becoming. I had to get the clindamycin filled at a different pharmacy than my normal one because it was on a Sunday. My regular pharmacist (who also had c-diff several years ago) would have warned me of the high risk it presented. Hopefully more pharmacists will warm their customers. Reading the posts on this site has really given me some excellent information and peace of mind.
Thank you
JG43

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”