Is this true?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Robbie
New User

Is this true?

Postby Robbie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:15 am

I read the book " Clostridium Difficile , A Patient's Guide" by Christopher M. O'Neal and Dr. Raf Ritz, and it says that everyone eventually gets over c diff. Is that true? I'm holding on to that... I haven't really been to anxious before the last few days, but for some reason I'm starting to panic. My doctor has decided to taper and pulse me and I start that next week. I am really scared now for some reason. Will I eventually be ok?

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Is this true?

Postby Musings » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Generally speaking, yes - it's true though the elderly and/or those with compromised immune systems may pass away due to complications related to c.diff but if you are a healthy adult then you will eventually recover. Know it is hard to believe that in the thick of the disease, but you will find the cure that works for you and many people were successful with tapers.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:03 am

Even elderly and immunocompromised people can recover from C. diff -- which isn't to say that 100% of people do recover, but the vast majority will. A common cold, the flu, or a UTI can also lead to death due to complications, again, more likely in older patients. C. diff isn't unique in that regard. Your chances of recovery are excellent -- and will happen, quite possibly, much sooner than the term "eventually" suggests.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:21 am

I recovered from C Diff. I was diagnosed on 11/7/18 and hospitalized until 11/9. By 11/18 (10 days of vanco) I felt 95% better, but every abdominal pain got me worried . 11/30 I retested and was negative!

The hospitalist put me on vanco oral and flagyl IV.

I still have anxiety about getting c diff. I was given clindamycin for two weeks in sept and finished mid sept for a sinus infection. During my sinus infection I took probiotics.Sept 30 I was diagnosed with appendicitis and during my one night hospital stay I was given more antibiotics! I stopped taking probiotic after the appendectomy and I think that is what triggered c diff. No doctor has actually said what gave me c diff.

During my hospital stay I was given 200 mg continuous NaCl IV because I met the criteria for
Sepsis. I was so scared.

But now I am back to the beginning...I feel like I am having another sinus infection!

For me it was "I will get over c diff, but I am scared for it to come back".

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Most sinus infections are viral, not bacterial, so you do not need antibiotics. Please read the section on sinus infections in the CDI section and you can get several ways to treat these on your own that are often effective. My ENT worked with me so I did not need antibiotics even after a very long sinus infection that other drs claimed would have turned bacterial...but he said did not.
Stay calm.
Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”