Relapse without diarrhea??

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Texan33
Brand New Poster

Relapse without diarrhea??

Postby Texan33 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 am

My 82-year-old mother recently had C-Diff after a round of Cipro & Metro to treat diverticulitis. Her doctor prescribed a 14-day dose of Vancomycin 4X/day (56 pills total). She completed her last dose of Vanco on 11/27.

She began a 102F fever on 12/9 (12 days after the last antibiotic) but has no d. Her BMs are 2-3/day and are soft and unformed. She still has a fever today. She's been tested for flu, strep, bladder infection, vaginal infection and all are negative.

Can she have c-diff again without diarrhea?

I'm hoping this is just some random virus that will run its course and be done. I'm nervous about testing for C-Diff and getting a false positive.
However, I don't want want to go too long without antibiotics if she does have c-diff. I'm not sure what to do. If she had multiple cases if d in a day, I would be convinced that she had c-diff and would get retested.

She does not have the cramping as she did with c-diff.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

roy
Administrator

Re: Relapse without diarrhea??

Postby roy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:25 pm

What were her symptoms that prompted the Dr to treat for diverticulitis?
Perhaps that has still not been resolved.
Keep a record of her bathroom trips.
If D returns her Dr should treat without testing.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:30 am

It is possible for the Cdiff to still linger even if the D is not present although the frequency should be higher.That fever is concerning and it may very well be from a virus or from another illness but do keep a close eye on her symptoms. As Roy said , if things start going south and she starts having more frequent BM treatment should not be delayed.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:12 am

Have you been in touch with the GI who treated the diverticulitis? I would probably be cautious and submit a test, but also ask if this could be the diverticulitis as Roy said.

Texan33
Brand New Poster

Postby Texan33 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:09 am

Thank you for your suggestions. She was retested for a UTI and tested positive. The doctor prescribed Macrobid which is on the "safe list" of antibiotics. I hope we're on the road to recovery now! 2-weeks with no C-Diff.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”