Diarrhea weeks after FMT... normal??

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Damncdif
New User

Diarrhea weeks after FMT... normal??

Postby Damncdif » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:14 pm

I had an FMT via colonoscopy three weeks ago today. The next morning I felt 100% normal and have been feeling great for weeks. Then yesterday I had some diarrhea a few times and of course got super worried. Then this morning I had a totally normal bm, but then more diarrhea this afternoon. I’m wondering if anyone else had an experience like mine and did not relapse. I’m clinging to hope that this could be normal. My doctor says it could be from the irritated intestines healing. But why was I normal for so long? It doesn’t make sense to me.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Diarrhea weeks after FMT... normal??

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 am

Hi and Welcome to the site

As with any treatment, recovery takes time. The gut needs to heal, you don't mention how long you had CDIFF or what prior treatments you were on before the FMT. Did you take meds right before the FMT?

If you read through the site, there are those who do great right after FMT and move on, then we have those who take awhile. Keep an eye on the diet, yes it can get upset post FMT.

I did not have one so maybe a few will jump in here and share their experiences. If the D continues, see your GI

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Damncdif
New User

Postby Damncdif » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 am

I had cdiff undiagnosed for five weeks with three negative tests before finally getting a positive one. I was put on a Vanco taper right away because I’d had cdiff six years ago and struggled through months of antibiotics. After a couple weeks and doing the first taper, I started having symptoms, so my ID doctor suggested doing an FMT. I did two failed FMTs via capsules and then a third one via colonoscopy. It’s now been seven weeks. I’ve had some bad days but things generally improve again. Hoping it works!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:45 am

I too had weeks of D with pain after my FMT despite diet, the only thing that helped calm down the frequency was the Imodium. Now i have good and bad days , i can have two or three good days followed by one or two days of D , but that depends also of what i eat.

Damncdif
New User

Postby Damncdif » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:06 pm

I’m wondering if you can tell a difference between CDiff diarrhea and “regular” diarrhea. No need to go into detail, just wondering if there is a difference for you. I think there is, and sometimes when mine starts to appear more CDiff-ish, I panic.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”