Recovered from C Diff, still mild pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
panda18
New User

Recovered from C Diff, still mild pain

Postby panda18 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:53 am

12/1 I found out I tested negative for c diff. I had some cheesecake tonight and it was a very smalll piece. I had mild abdominal cramping. I never drink milk. I do have kerfir or yogurt and have no problems. Do you think c diff caused me to have lactose and sugar intolerances?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovered from C Diff, still mild pain

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Your cramping can be due to temporary intolerance to lactose or it may very well be because you indulged in something sweet . After Cdiff it's best to limit the sugar to the minimum because it will irritate the gut.

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Georgina I am curious how long I may experience this because this is the worst time of year to not eat sweets.

My PCP asked me to drink a large glass of milk and see how I feel. I had 16 fl oz low fat organic milk and felt fine. I only experienced was passing gas but it was. It was not painful. I did eat a chocolate chip cookie and brownie before I drank the milk, but my stomachached!

Now my PCP wants me to try having a couple glasses milk and then wait 4-6 hours before I have anything g else.

Then on a different day a non-dairy sugary meal.

So I'm thinking for breakfast I have milk and oatmeal on Monday. Then Tuesday to eat chocolate pudding (non-dairy, soy-free).

I don't believe lactose is causing my problem and my doctor said there's no allergy testing for sucrose.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:17 am

If you had no real problem after milk lactose intolerance is doubtful but follow your dr’s instructions and see what happens.

There is no way to tell how long any intolerance might last if it is a temporary one. Everyone is different. If it is lactose intolerance you can take lactaid pills to help digestion. Intolerance to sugar/sweets has no aid. Both are common after c diff. And remember most baked goods are made with milk and chocolate has lactose and sugar so it is a double whammy.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”