Taper schedule

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Robbie
New User

Taper schedule

Postby Robbie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm

I've read all the different taper methods in the C Diff info section. My doctor is open to letting me try any of them. I'm so confused. Does anyone have an opinion of which one works best? I need to know soon as I'm almost done with my first 14 days. Thank you!

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Taper schedule

Postby sammyp » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:41 pm

People in here have tried all different kinds of tapers with success. Based on research, I'd suggest that whatever schedule you choose, finish with pulse dosing as it's shown to be more effective than tapering alone. I am 15 weeks past treatment with a Vanco taper pulse and doing well. My schedule was:

The taper portion:

Full dosing, 4 times a day for 14 days
Two times a day 2 weeks
Once a day for 2 weeks

And then pulse dosing:

One pill every other day for two weeks
One pill every two days for two weeks
One pill every three days for four weeks

There are many different and effective ways to do a taper/pulse. Many of us have had success doing it.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 pm

I say if you are going to do 8 weeks... you might as well do 12. I have noticed over the past two years, many people who have done a longer taper/pulse regimen have been successful.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 am

Thank you, Sammy and MKW. What strength of the vanco do you recommend? 125 or 250 mg?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 am

Robbie, do you know why your dr felt that a normal course of vanco alone was not enough? Flagyl does not really count as treatment. I had Flagyl (but that was 6 years ago) then a normal course of vanco and was cured as were many others. If you need more that is one thing, but the longer you have vanco, the more good gut flora is destroyed.

I didn’t see where you relapsed after anything but Flagyl.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:32 am

Agree with RIL, please don't jump at additional medication, see how you do with your initial Vanco treatment. You may do very well when you complete this round.

Hopefully this will work and there will be no need for more meds.

NanciT

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 am

Thank you RIL and NanctT, my doctor just said that she has had the best results with long and slow. Do you think I should speak to her about it? Thank you for your help and support!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Robbie

Usually your GI and you make the choice when you START the medication on what kind of pulse/taper you will be on. If you are on a 14 day dose schedule, that sounds like the plan. They don't usually start someone on a medication without having an idea of how long you will be on it.

Some patients are on Vanco 10 days, some 14 days, some months. It varies. If you have improved...that is the key. I failed Vanco 10 days, so then went to a 3 month taper. I would probably not have started with a 3 month taper.

See how you do, make sure to keep in close touch with your GI

Hope things improve!

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”