Go in the morning and then backed up

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Vernw
New User

Go in the morning and then backed up

Postby Vernw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Good Morning All-

I’ve been off Vanco for 8 days now and all is good. I had a question though for all of you to see if this is normal while I wait to hear back from my GI.

I go in the morning and then feel completely backed up during the day. At night I feel like I need to move a BM but can’t, almost feel as though I’m constipated.

Any thoughts on how to get my BMs moving so that I don’t feel backed up and gassy throughout the day? I’ve been taking multivitamins and Benefiber to increase my fiber intake but it’s still the same.

Thanks!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Go in the morning and then backed up

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:09 pm

If the vitamins have IRON in them, it can cause constipation. This is also VERY common POST CIDFF IBS. Things can go from one extreme to another.
Increase fluids. Speak with your GI, I tend to add Sweet potato, veggies but you need to be able to tolerate that. If that does not work, MY GI suggested a small dose of Miralax but this was my experience and you need to check with yours

NanciT

Vernw
New User

Postby Vernw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks! Yeah, these don’t have iron in them. I’m going for a follow up on the 10th to speak with my GI but I’m thinking it’s also post-IBS which he warned me could potentially happen.

The only thing that I haven’t been able to tolerate are the snackum pickles but everything else is fair game. I might try some of my sons apple/prune juice lol to get it moving. It’s not comfortable but just a nuisance.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Be careful...because if you are going in the morning it may well just be a sensation that you are backed up, possibly IBS as NanciT said, and you are not really backed up. Going every day is not constipation. You don’t want to send yourself into having d!

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:31 pm

I'm with Ril. If you're going everyday, I wouldn't overdo it on fiber or laxatives. That feeling of needing to go but not going is a sensation known as tenesmus and it's a very common problem for those with IBS. After CDiff, your insides are all inflamed and sensitive. That can make your colon feel full and even spasm.

Vernw
New User

Postby Vernw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks everyone!! You guys are the best! :-)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”