New here and need help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Robbie
New User

New here and need help

Postby Robbie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm 58, female, and on my second round of treatment. I failed the first one (Flagyl) which I've learned since reading these posts is not even a good treatment for c diff. I'm now on Vanco, and just began my taper after 10 days on 250 mg 4 times a day. My diarrhea has been gone since day 4, and I don't feel too bad, maybe a little more tired. My question is when does the abdominal pain go away? It's much better than it was, but I still feel campy and gassy at times. Is that normal? Is it my colon that hurts? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: New here and need help

Postby Ril » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi Robbie. Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting for new members and other information.
Sorry you have this infection but glad you have found us. It seems like the vanco is working and i5 is too bad drs are still using Flagyl first but many are.
It is normal to still have abdominal pain and cramps. Your gut needs to get over the infection and inflammation it has suffered and has a lot of healing to do. Eat a bland diet and allow it it “rest” and heal. Most people stick to a BRAT diet at first and add other foods slowly. Then eat broiled or grilled fish or poultry, no dairy, no sugar, no red med, no fried foods, no alcohol. There is a lot of information on these boards about diet.

Best of luck
Rita

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 pm

The pain will stay for a period of time, depend of the severity of infection. You are doing progress if no D. Keep blend food diet.
Hope you will recover easy. Take probiotic .
Lidia.

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I don’t have D, but I don’t go 3 or 4 times a day. All formed. Has anyone else had pain during treatment and in recovery? Why does the pain linger if the infection is gone?

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:26 pm

I don’t have diarrhea at all anymore although I do have 3 or 4 bms a day. All formed. I guess I thought if the diarrhea was gone that the pain and gassiness would be gone too. Has anyone else still had pain through treatment and healing? Why does it still happen?

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Bern, I'm wondering the same thing.... maybe some other members can give us some insight? My pain isn't horrible, but enough to be bothersome. Does it ever go away?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Bern, you have asked that question many times and the answer will remain the same. It takes time for your gut to heal from the serious infection and inflammation caused by the C. difficile bacteria. Some people recover quickly and others take a much longer time for total healing from the the inflammation and resultant pain. Some get PI IBS and suffer with more pain and cramping and often there is a “new normal” in bowel habits. There is no one answer for all. As long as you no long have multiple watery d you are recovering. If the the pain is cramping and it gets severe, you may want to talk to your GI and see if an antispasmodic is appropriate for you. But you will get better.

Rita

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm sorry, I thought I was just replying to Robbie, as she seemed to have the same question as me. I hope someone will answer her.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Robbie, this answer was for you as well. I hope it helps.

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you Ril. This whole illness is so confusing. I can have a few good days (still on the vanco) and then have a bad one with more pain, bloating and gas, even though my diet is the same bland diet. im on the paper for a few more weeks.... I guess the symptoms can still come and go as long as there is no watery diarrhea, right?

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:22 pm

I meant to say taper not paper in my previous post

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Bern wrote:
> I meant to say taper not paper in my previous post
Did you mean to say taper not paper?

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Bern, yes that is what I meant. Hoping to hear back about my question about on and off symptoms on vanco.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”