Is this normal on vanco?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Endayy
Brand New Poster

Is this normal on vanco?

Postby Endayy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi guys,

I am new here (29/male) and have been diagnosed with C. Diff recently.

It all started when my wife gave birth at the end of october and she was diagnosed with C.diff right after taking an antibiotic. 2 weeks later, I started to lose appetite and had 2x watery D in one night. My wife took no chance and asked our doctor to test me. Unfortunately, the test came back positive. I was given a 10 day vanco regime and everything seemed fine until today (8 days later). Since I took vanco, my BMs were all fine(soft and no D) but suddenly today, I had at least 5 watery D.

I would like to know if it is normal to suddenly have watery D while on vanco. I only have 2 days left of vanco and I have to go back to work next week. I am very worried.

Are there any precautions I have to take for my newborn and for my family given how me and my wife both have c.diff? She unfortunately relapsed 3 days after her first round of vanco and she is currently on a 6 weeks vanco tamper.

Thanks.

E.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is this normal on vanco?

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:11 am

Hi Endayy and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters.

Some people report looser stools with vanco (I am one), but I have not heard of WD while on it. When they tested you for the c difficile, were you also tested for other pathogens through a stool culture and a test for ova and parasites? It is possible that you tested positive for c diff because you were a carrier, but perhaps there is another infection as well. Or it could be viral. I would call your doctor and report the WD.

The other possibility is that you might have eaten something that set that off. When I was on vanco with my first bout of c difficile, I tried to eat salad and I got WD as well. I also did not do well with dairy and became lactose intolerant. I was not able to tolerate some foods that used to agree with me. You could try eating a very bland diet to see if the WD returns. C difficile will still give symptoms even if you have a bland diet, but if it is a food reaction or IBS, it should calm down. But, again, report it to your doctor.

roy
Administrator

Re: Is this normal on vanco?

Postby roy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:46 am

Most important to point out is that your newborn is at little or no risk of catching c.diff from its parent.
In fact it's the other way around!
70% of newborns are carriers of c.diff and it does them no harm.
It's normal, expected, and might even give immunity in later life.
Lovely little germ harbouring bundles of joy!

Because of this 100% fact maternity units are a prime area for mom to pick up c.diff.
Antibiotics are given to mom in the most c.diff contaminated place in the hospital and the scene is set for it to become a disease.

On to your "infection"
C.diff can pass between family members but unless the new recipients gut flora is compromised nature does as intended and it does not become a disease.
They carry it for a while but that's normal.
2 episodes of D is probably not c.diff and a positive test is definatley not proof that c.diff is causing a disease.
Yes you were carrying it (totaly normal) but probably not sick from it.
Even if it was the cause of your D c.diff does not mean automatic antibiotic treatment, it is often a self limiting infection (most infections of any kind are self limiting and your body deals with them).

Relapses.
If your wife relapsed its indicated by watery D at least 3 times a day for several days.
A positive test does not indicate a relapse and minor gut upset when treatment is finished is expected.
Your current symptoms are probably not c.diff related but get a Drs advice if it continues.

Golden rule.
None of you, including baby, test to see if its gone!
Theres a 50% chance of it being wrong.
Theres no accurate test to prove a cure and that results in overtreatment.
No D means its cured.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”