Newly diagnosed on 11/7/18

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
panda18
New User

Newly diagnosed on 11/7/18

Postby panda18 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 am

I was diagnosed with C Diff a week ago. I went to the ER in the evening and then admitted to the hospital. I had two nights in the hospital.

I had the
-Loose stool (sometimes fluffy looking or chocolate frozen yogurt texture
-severe abdominal pain,
- low blood potassium
-colitis
-fluid depletion

I was given metronidazole through IV. I was also given sodium chloride 200 ml/hr continuous. Potassium, probiotic and vancomycin. Since my discharge I'm on vancomycin every 6 hr and I take a probiotic. I have been on a low fiber diet for 7 days (11/7-11/14/18). I have not had a single bowel movement. The last one was on the 9th the morning of discharge.

How do I start adding more fiber to my diet? I am worried that once I start eating my favorite foods I may repeat my symptoms. I love kale and getting my whole grains. I've been eating protein and white foods. I still get hungry every 2 hours . The doctor wrote to advance as tolerated to regular diet once all GI symptoms have been resolved .

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed on 11/7/18

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:32 am

Don't worry about not having a BM , it's normal after a few days of D.
Definitely don't start indulging into your favorite foods , the tasty foods are always irritants for the gut , and definitely stay away from leafy greens for awhile , those are very hard to digest. A good source of fiber that is easy to digest you can get from rice , baked potatoe , applesauce ,banana and oatmeal.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 am

Good advice from Georgina but there is the possibility of illius.
It's very unlikely to be illius this soon into diagnosis but you MUST get checked for it and that means another ER trip.
Illius is a rare but severe complication where the colon becomes paralyzed.
99% it's not but only a Dr should advise.

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 pm

I had my first bowel movement (BM) yesterday! I added the Kashi blueberry waffles into my diet and I think that helped. Today all my BM except one looked like sausage shape. I take vancomycin every 6 hr. It's been exactly one week since discharge from the hospital. I was told to see my PCP doctor within ten days, but the earliest would be 11/30/18.

I'm still eating cooked vegetables but I miss eating kale (I think cooked kale may still be rough on my GI system).

Most BM make me feel tired. How many days does it take to feel normal?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:59 pm

I can't come up with how many days, everyone is very different. First, finish your treatment. Go easy on the diet, but with the recent hospital visit and CDIFF, you should be followed by a GI. The constipation also was a concern. Have your PCP refer you to a GI to be followed for these issues you are dealing with.
It takes time to heal and recover

Hope things improve soon

NanciT

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 am

Wednesday 11/21 will be my last capsule of vancomycin. The early morning of 11/19/18 mybstool looked like a type 5 from the Bristol stool chart. I am gradually increasing my fiber. Instateted eating pears without skin (I know most of the fiber is in the skin). I think this is a sign that I am healing?

I take 20 billion probiotics.

With the holiday season fast approaching I'm limiting myself on all the delicious nuts in desserts and pistachios. I think that would hurt my colon!

I get to see my PCP on 11/30/18!

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:00 am

Here's an update about me:

11/21 I finished my last dose of vancomycin

11/25 I experienced syncope (fainted) and hit my head. I was going to the bathroom in toilet stall and felt dizzy. Then I had a BM.

11/30 I met with my PCP and she ordered a retest for C diff. I described to her on a scale of 1-10 I get an abdominal pain of 2 or 3 when I eat a Japanese dessert called melonpan (it tastes so good. Enriched flour with cookie crumbles on top!). I have gradually getting myself out of the BRAT diet.

I had stool today after my doctor appointment and collected a sample. The texture was like scooping out soft clay or soft play dough.

I was really worried about physical fitness (besides walking) and I got the OK.

My main question for all who have been through C diff and in the hospital. What physical fitness did you start doing after you recovered from c diff?

One of my problems was and sort of still is feeling extremely tired (it maybe that I am in a recovery phase and finished my period) All of my energy just goes into work and preparing meals. I used to exercise a lot.

panda18
New User

Postby panda18 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:14 pm

I just got my re-test lab result back and it was negative!!

After being hospitalized in Sept, Oct, and Nov this year...this is what I wanted to hear for my birthday month (December)

I pray all of you fight c diff!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”