Can it linger

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Whyme111
Regular User

Can it linger

Postby Whyme111 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

My question is whether or not it's possible for C diff to be in a person's system and for it to flare up from time to time? There are so many questions about wondering if it's still lingering and much of the anxiety is revolved around that. I too wonder if a person can live with c diff but manage the symptoms on a daily basis by taking probiotics etc. However be prone to a possible relapse at any time if the remedies that are working are stopped for some reason. It tends to be on my mind because there are days where I wonder, "will I ever feel good again?" I know there may be a new normal but some days get me wondering if it was actually wiped out or is it just hiding..?

roy
Administrator

Re: Can it linger

Postby roy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:54 am

C.diff is a normal gut bacteria, so is e.coli, staph, strep etc.
detecting them in a person's flora does not mean they are a disease.
They are all normal and our body deals with them on a daily basis.
If something comes along that changes the body's defences they can become a problem.
In the general population c.diff probably does "flare up" from time to time but resolves quickly and never causes severe illness or gets diagnosed.
The only "remedy" that's needed it strong gut flora (immunity) that nature has provided us with for thousands of years.

Probiotics are not normal gut flora.
We used to say they are a might help cant hurt thing but theres increasing evidence that they can cause GI problems and should be considered as medication.

Theres no such thing as a pill, potion or procedure to manage symptoms.
Natures been doing that for thousands of years and does not need any help.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 am

The other part of your question is, “will I ever feel good again”?
If you are still in recovery the answer is yes. I used to ask everyone the same question, including my dr. I had a long, difficult recovery but eventually I did feel fine. I do wrestle with IBS issues but physically I feel “normal”. It just can take longer than you might imagine it should.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Thank you for the responses. It is taking a while to feel better. I'm over 13 weeks post Vanco treatment and the days are up and down still. I understand they can be and I am dealing with ibs as well. My mind tricks me sometimes into thinking it's actually the c diff. I'm trying to keep with rational thoughts but after this drawn out illness, that too can be quite difficult.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”