is Vancomycin working

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bern
Regular User

is Vancomycin working

Postby Bern » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am

I relapsed 3 days after a Flagyl treatment. I’m now on 10 days of vancomycin. Today is the 2nd day. Still some loose stools with mucus and less belly pain, but still crampy before I have a bm.
Does it sound like it’s working? Is this a good drug for c diff? Need some encouragement that I’m on the right track.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: is Vancomycin working

Postby Ril » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Vanco is a medication not a miracle. The fact that you are already seeing what sounds like an improvement is a sign that it is working. It generally takes at least 2-3 days to see improvement. You have less pain and no watery d. You are on the right track. Vancomycin is a good drug but Flagyl was a waste of time. It is no longer indicated for use in c diff yet drs are still prescribing it.
Rita

publius
Brand New Poster

Postby publius » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 am

Flagyl was worthless for me, and I had a Cdif relapse.
Then took 10 days of Vanco, which made it go away, but it came back.
Now I am doing 14 day Vanco, then after that a pulse/taper regimen.
I am also on day 2 of Vanco.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 am

I relapsed after taking 14 days of inexpensive Flagyl and it worsened my symptoms, made me sick as a dog! I then had 14 days of more expensive Vancomycin. I relapsed again and called the doctor to ask for another 14 days of Vancomycin followed by tapering. That failed also. I was finally cured after taking 10 days of very expensive Dificid.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am

Publius,
Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
Sorry you are struggling with this illness but glad you found us and I hope you will get and give support on our site.
Many posters here have done well with Vanco tapers/pulse doses (or failing that, with Dificid).
Best wishes with your recovery,
Rita

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm

If you don’t have watery D at this point it is likely working. Your gut has been through a lot. You are going into this after two rounds of Rifaximin and two rounds of herbal antimicrobials, I am fairly sure is what you described. Considering, it sounds like you are doing ok! . Vanco is a much better drug than Flagyl. It only works in the GI tract and only kills gram positive bacteria.
Many people succeed after a round of Vanco.
However the next step if you relapse again is to do Vanco with a taper or Dificid.
You should go ahead and research these treatments so you are informed if it comes to that.
A variety of painful cramping is common.
Watery D is the number one sign a med is not working or that you are relapsing. Other than that it seems people experience a wide range of symptoms.

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi MKW, thank you for replying. I wanted to add that my GI now has me on a Vanco taper after all. I guess it’s unreasonable for me to think that 3 days on the meds is going to resolve all of my symptoms, right? I had two very loose bms this morning but nothing since. Still some belly cramps and discomfort though. When does that usually resolve? And you are right about the SIBO treatment....I’m sure that’s why I have Cdiff now. My GI says that I’m on course and not to panic. How is your SIBO treatment going?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 pm

I’m half way through a Xifaxan round, and have had a lot of symptom resolution. But today I have had sharp abdominal pains, so hopefully am not taking a turn for the worst. I fear c Diff taking any antibiotic.
Well, since your doctor has decided to do a taper this could be a good thing.
Once you get the infection under control with the initial full dose round, you can gradually go down to taking one pill as little as every other day for weeks to keep it from recurring. This gives your gut time to repopulate good bacteria and heal. It works for a lot of people.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:15 am

Bern - the toxins from c difficile irritate the colon and that causes inflammation and pain. The toxins take a few days to clear and then you still need time for your colon to heal. I would eat bland food for a while that won't irritate your colon further. Vanco taper has been successful for many, but it takes patience.

MKW - Even if you get D from the Xifaxan it does not mean a relapse. I got WD on my last day of treatment with it and thought for sure I had relapsed, but I had not. It resolved and my other symptoms from SIBO got much better.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”