Recurrence Risk with Colonoscopy?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
fiver
New User

Recurrence Risk with Colonoscopy?

Postby fiver » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Does anyone know the rate of c diff recurrence associated with colonoscopy? I've done one round of flagyl and two rounds of vancomycin, stabilized for awhile, now experiencing a (so far) minor flare, and I'm supposed to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks. I have right upper quadrant pain that predates my c diff infection and my GI doc wants to have a look. I'm concerned I have IBD or some other condition that set the table for recurrent cdiff. Unfortunately colonoscopy is the only way to get a definitive diagnosis. But I'm concerned about aggravating my condition, disrupting gut flora, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recurrence Risk with Colonoscopy?

Postby Ril » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 pm

I don’t know that there are any such statistics. If you currently have c diff you should make your dr aware and should not be having a colonoscopy but you don’t describe what you are calling a “minor flare” and why you seem to be calling that c diff, unless I am misunderstanding.
In terms of the urgency of doing a colonoscopy at this time if you do NOT have active c diff, I am also not clear how long you have been c diff free- (it seems about 4 months?-so would that put the colonoscopy at 5-6 months post c diff?) and how urgent it is to diagnose your possible IBD. If that need is severe, you have to discuss with your dr the need to do it so soon vs the risk of waiting. IBD can be serious and we can’t advise your particular situation.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:27 am

Before rushing into the colonoscopy you should ask the doctor about the calprotectin test , is a fecal test that is used frequently to determine whether or not is inflamation in the colon.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:49 am

You have had gut problems for a long time, your Dr suspected SIBO but did nothing to prove that diagnosis but advised treating.
"Natural" antibiotics (they are still microbiome altering medication) seem to have made you worse and caused c.diff.
You cleared c.diff with mainstream meds but are left with "minor" symptoms.
When someone uses the word "minor" to describe their symptoms my thoughts are always, why agree to a major procedure that has even a small chance of making me worse!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”