3 months off Vanco - can I stop worrying?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sammyp
Contributor

3 months off Vanco - can I stop worrying?

Postby sammyp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Today marks 3 months off a Vanco taper pulse. From what I've read and understand from my doc, three months is good amount of time to be considered safe from reoccurance.

Like many here, I have a lot of anxiety about reoccurance. I still have my bad days, still eating a pretty conservative diet and losing a bit of weight, but have not had significant D since starting Vanco weeks and weeks ago.

Can I rest easier having made it this far? Would reoccurance be unlikely at this point?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: 3 months off Vanco - can I stop worrying?

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:40 am

Congrats for reaching the three months into recovery. Although you never feel truly safe after dealing with Cdiff when you reach the three months mark the fear of a relapse starts to ease down. As you probably know the first month is always the hardest and most relapses happen in that time frame.Keep adding foods back into your diet ,stay away from gut irritants (alcohol,excess sugar,leafy greens ,fast foods ,dairy), keep taking your probiotic and you will be fine. Hope to read your success story soon!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: 3 months off Vanco - can I stop worrying?

Postby MKW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Congratulations! Yes, you should stop worrying. At some point you have to let yourself.
Recurrence at this point would be very rare based on all the posts I’ve seen from people for over two years.
But remember your microbiome is likely not totally back to normal. Continue to make efforts to have a diet and habits that support a healthy gut microbiome.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”