Stomach bug or relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Byrn09
New User

Stomach bug or relapse?

Postby Byrn09 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi all! I’ve been about 2.5 months c diff free (knock on wood!) and I work in the hospital. This past Wednesday afternoon I started not feeling well generally. I went BM about four times which were all formed but my stomach was on fire and felt like I had to vomit. I started getting chills in waves with the abdominal pain and my husband said I had a fever and was “burning up”. That fever most likely broke over night. The next day I was a little more comfortable with the cramping only happening 1/4 of the time of the day before but I did take a ton of pepto and one Imodium just in case. Now today I’ve had diarrhea 3x and mostly after eating, barley any appetite no fever. I’m concerned that my cdiff could be returning or is it a stomach bug? I haven’t had a stomach bug in years but since they have the same symptoms I’m concerned when I should go to the doctor or what is normal for this type of stuff.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Stomach bug or relapse?

Postby AllisS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:16 pm

A stomach bug would resolve after several days. Since it's only been a couple of days I'd give it another day or two to see how you feel.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Byrn09
New User

Postby Byrn09 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 pm

AllisS With your cdiff did you have severe fevers or similarities to a stomach bug? I feel like my only similarities between the two is the diarrhea and cramps which obviously went away.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:46 am

I didn't have severe fever or stomach-bug-type symptoms with C. diff. I just reread your earlier post; it's not a good idea to take "a ton" of Pepto Bismol (or any other drug for that matter). The Pepto Bismol site also says that the drug shouldn't be taken to self-treat diarrhea if you have a fever. We can't diagnose on this site; it's a support site and not a medical site. It's just not possible to guess if a set of symptoms is one thing or the other based on similarities/differences. If you still feel ill, you need to call your doctor. I hope you feel better soon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”