How to know if flagyl is working!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
oceaneo
New User

How to know if flagyl is working!

Postby oceaneo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am

Hello it’s me again!

If it wasn’t for all the information on this forum, I wouldn’t have the knowledge to urge my doctor to change my mediciation dose. (He is awful and I will avoid him in the future because he has given me the wrong mediciation 3 times now)

I know flagyl is not recommended as treatment anymore, but unfortunately for mild (but stubborn) cases such as mine, it’s the first line of defense that doctors STILL recommend. Annoying but there is nothing I could do.

I started 500 mg 3x day on the 1st and haven’t really seen much improvement with the BMS. 1-3 super fluffy stools a day. I sat in a car for 8 hours on Saturday and on Sunday I had about 1-3 fluffy stools and 1 completely watery in the middle. Probably just the travel? I felt some mild cramping and rumbling and a very mild “pin and needle” sensation on my stomach - all after eating. I suspect this is normal too but I can never tell.

Is this normal for flagyl or should I monitor this for the next few days in case I need to tell a new doctor to give me a new medicine?

roy
Administrator

Re: How to know if flagyl is working!

Postby roy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:19 am

Flagyl is no longer recommended for any grade type or strain of c.diff.
Neither mild, symptomatic or asymptomatic.
We have given you the information but your Drs not following the very clear and precise guidlines.
The only time it can be used is if other meds (vanco or dificid) are not available.
Unless your living in the middle of a rain forest that is not going to be applicable!
In an earlier post you say your on 250mg 3 x a day for 7 days.
Today you said 500mg so can you clarify.
Regardless, what you describe are not c.diff symptoms.
If your Drs (or you) are treating in an attempt to get a negative test you might find that's impossible.
Treating asymptomatic c.diff can cause it to become a full blown disease (especially so if its treated with flagyl!!!)
If that happens you will know it, theres no mistaking full on c.diff D.
One poster summed it up recently as "an uncontrolable involuntary waterfall flowing from my butt"

oceaneo
New User

Postby oceaneo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I was taking 250 mg but it wasn’t working so 3 different doctors advised me to take 500 mg starting on November 1st. This is so frustrating because even though flagyl is not recommended at all, why do all these doctors keep giving it! It’s so bad and not fair to people suffering. And I caught the c diff early because even though I never had full blown D in the beginning, I had bad cramps gurgling and fevers. I have to take another test 5 days after my medicine is finished

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:17 pm

You should not be retesting to prove cure. It is expressly contraindicated. Results can be false. Cure or not should be determined based on symptoms. Perhaps you should look up c diff treatment protocol, print them out and show your drs. They seem to be having a real problem. These are basics.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:37 pm

I dont know what type of Drs you are seeing but the more you post the worse their knowlage sounds!
Bordering on incompetent, likely to be harmfull.
Whoever is giving you advice just can not be a qualified medic!
Rita said it well "these are basics".
What you say is totaly contradicting all the guidlines about diagnosing, treating and testing for c.diff.

Unless of course your Dr does not think you have c.diff and is handing out advice and meds to pacify your extreme health anxiety.

oceaneo
New User

Postby oceaneo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:30 pm

That’s the part that makes me nervous! When I went to urgent care, I literally told the doctor about the FDA and CDC reports and he was not listening at all. He said to me that he perscribes flagyl for c diff all the time and people recover and move on. I also spoke with an internal medicine emergency doctor and he also advised me to keep taking flagyl. It’s very frustrating with the lack of knowledge and how much you have to advocate for your health now. All the same doctors also *urged* for a retest 5 days after I finish flagyl too.

Because I was fine going without antibiotics and letting my body heal itself, I was actually afraid to take flagyl for 3 weeks. Then I sparked a fever of 100.3 and 4+ doctors all adviced me to *urgently* take flagyl for c diff

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”