Dr says ....

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bwise
New User

Dr says ....

Postby Bwise » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:34 pm

Ok so yesterday I went to my MD who has been treating me for Cdiff . My first episode started Oct 3rd I went to the ER they gave me Vancomycin, I was done with meds around the 20th of Octi began to feel better shortly after med stared and ate normal again Bam october 28 it’s back. So that Being said I went to my medical doctor and he prescribed me Matronidazole , I read Many articles saying that it wasn’t really the meds they gave for a relapse but he reassured me it was the right medication . So I’m on 509 mgs . He told me that I could return back to work Nov 12 while I have a lot of trust in him I’m still very scared I’ve been sticking to the plan diet but I’m really getting sick of carbs what else can I eat I’m worried because I have a book to CruZ that I already paid for set to go in January I’m trying not to get myself stressed out but I have my concerns I’ve been with my doctor about 10 years now and He told me he consulted with the G.I. doctor and his group

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dr says ....

Postby AllisS » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:05 am

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is no longer recommended as a treatment for C. diff. If Vanco didn't work, Flagyl will almost surely be ineffective, since Vanco has always been the second-line treatment for C. diff. Ask the doctor to prescribe Dificid instead; it's more effective than either Vanco or Flagyl. It's expensive, but I think there is sometimes financial help from the pharmaceutical company to purchase it if needed. If your doctor insists that you continue on Flagyl, I think you need to find another doctor. As for diet, there is nothing that's off-limits with C. diff; it's just a question of what you can tolerate. Many people stick with a bland diet such as BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) until they feel better.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 am

Why do you have trust in a Dr who is prescribing you the wrong treatment for a serious and potentialy fatal illness?
Your Dr has ignored your concerns about his decision to treat with metro and he is wrong!
I call that arrogance on the part of a Dr.
Either get a knowlagable Dr or strongly complain about your current treatment.
You pay his wages! be a customer not a patient.

What country are you in?

Bwise
New User

Postby Bwise » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 am

I’m in the US I explained my concerns and he told me that he did t want to put me back on Vancomycin he reassured me I’ve been on this medicine since 10/30/18 in take 3 a day and he said I will be on it for 14 days 500 mgs.

Bwise
New User

Postby Bwise » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 am

Are there any Mds on this site ?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:41 am

Your Dr s supposed to keep up to date on treatments.
Often they dont.

This is what they are supposed to study.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/66/7/e1/4855916

https://www.contagionlive.com/publicati ... guidelines

Print and show your Dr

Note
Where it says Metro is reduced to second line treatment it means its inferior, not that it's used as a second treatment.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:29 am

Start looking for another doctor , hopefully someone with more experience in treating patients with Cdiff. This doctor is not treating you according to the guidelines , therefor you might end up sicker then you are now.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:01 pm

I don’t know if there are currently MDs in this site but it doesn’t matter. There are RNs but that still doesn’t matter because we technically are not giving you medical advice. We are giving you the benefit of our experience and the research of this disease and the latest treatment protocol. If you don’t want to listen to the information we have supplied you with, or changed drs to seek one who has this current information that is up to you. This is a support site and we want to make sure you have access to any information we have, which is substantial.
Most people on this site, especially the administrators and moderators, have had this disease or have had family members with the disease, and have had years of experience and research about c diff.
Good luck!
Rita

AnnieKr
New User

Postby AnnieKr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm

I agree! Fire your doctor and get one that is updated on cdiff.

Bwise
New User

Postby Bwise » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Yikes I was just asking Rita didn’t think you would go off on me I was asking because some site have docs available that’s all I was getting at it nice to know who your taking advice from

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:01 am

An advice site and a support group are totaly different.
Occasionally Drs do join if they contract c.diff but only as members (same with nurses).
If a Dr starts giving advice on here we have to stop them.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:27 pm

My intention was not to “go off on you” but to clarify our mission.
Perhaps Roy said it better because he said it more simply.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”