Confused About Hand-Washing

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
vthokie
Brand New Poster

Confused About Hand-Washing

Postby vthokie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Good evening. I’m a 64 yo female. I am a retired teacher of 38 years. I have been around so many infections, diseases, & things I don’t even want to think about. In early September 2018, I had an attack of diverticulitis. Got Flagll and Cipro after visiting the ER. Was doing OK until 9/18 then the “bottom” fell out. I was so sick, frightening D so I ended up at the ER. Spent 6 days in the hospital with c diff. Took my Vancomycin for 14 days and felt so much better.
Well, my bubble burst. This past Monday, it all started again…diarrhea like I had previously, loss of appetite, dehydration, & just feeling awful. Contacted my gastro group, had to poop in the hat, and am currently awaiting the results of the tests.
I have a question about hand-washing. I’ve always been a hand-washer. I do know that bleach is the only way to kill the c diff spores. After a BM, I immediately wipe down the toilet, etc., then wash my hands. I’m not cleaning my hands with bleach, only soap and water. If I then go into the kitchen to prepare a meal, are my hands not considered sterilized? I’m afraid to pick up utensils, open the refrigerator door, etc. without spreading spores. Am I being overly concerned? Should I wear gloves while cooking? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have been a lurker and have read most posts. First time poster. You all seem so caring for each other. Glad to be a member.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Confused About Hand-Washing

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us. It sounds like you were in recovery if treated in September and have been improving, then the recent D hit. You don't mention how long you have been off the Vanco.
Did you eat something that could have been irritating? Not knowing the time line, it's possible it's a relapse but hopefully not. Your MD should be calling soon with your results.

Hand washing is very important and it sounds like you have done everything right. During my time with CDIFF I honestly did not cook at all, but if you are washing your hands really well with soap and water, there is no need for gloves.
When I was CDIFF positive I used the wipes with Bleach to clean the bathroom.

Hopefully the test is negative, if so just watch your diet and add foods slowly. The gut can take time to heal. If by chance it is positive, I would ask for Dificid since you have already been on Vanco.

Wishing you the best, let us know how you do

NanciT

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Confused About Hand-Washing

Postby AllisS » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:16 am

The bleach wipes that Nanci mentioned are available online only; see https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Germicida ... 2687&psc=1

For some reason they aren't sold in pharmacies.Alternatively, you can wipe down hard surfaces -- countertops, toilet and fridge handles, doorknobs, TV remote -- with a homemade bleach solution of one part bleach to nine parts water. You have to let the wet solution air-dry before wiping it down. Always use gloves with either the wipes or the homemade solution.

You don't need to be concerned about sterilizing your hands; this simply isn't possible (or necessary). Thorough handwashing with soap and water is key. As for spreading spores, I honestly think this is a misconception that healthcare providers, who should know better, are planting in people's minds. Unless someone had uncontrollable diarrhea, as in a nursing-home environment, this isn't something you need to worry about. The spores are in the environment all of the time to begin with. Ordinarily, one isn't susceptible to them; it takes a particular combination of circumstances to trigger C. diff, e.g., antibiotic use and having been in a healthcare setting. Unless an item such as clothing or bedding is soiled, in which case it should be discarded or bleached, spores don't pose any imminent threat.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”