Questions about prednisone and relapse

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hoverup
New User

Questions about prednisone and relapse

Postby hoverup » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 pm

I’m two years after having cdiff and my dr started me yesterday on prednisone and my stomach today is giving me issuses. Keep in mine I also have ibs c&d. I was wondering if anyone’s had any issues with oral prednisone and relapsed within 48 hrs of starting it?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Questions about prednisone and relapse

Postby georgina » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:00 am

For what reason have you been given Prednisone ? This is a corticoid and one of it's effects is lowering immune response , so yes , a relapse is possible.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 am

For upper respiratory infection. I’m omw to my gi dr to do a stool specimen. My primary care stopped the prednisone I took it only two days.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Is there a way to prevent cdiff from happening or is it just hope and pray it don’t come back?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 am

I was given a tapering dosepak of prednisone when I was in my 20s for a sinus problem. I think I made it through two doses until I got terrible WD. This was way before I ever had c difficile. So, the medication can cause D, but hopefully it won't be c diff for you.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Update on my condition. I ended up getting over the respiratory infection and have had a stool culture done that tested negative for cdiff but I am still worried. I’m either to clogged up to go or it’s straight up watery. There is no happy medium. I have been in contact with my GI dr and she says it’s just a really bad case of IBS but she will keep a watch out. The last time I have cdiff I ended up in ICU in cardiac arrest. I don’t want to go through that again that was horrible.

jstep813
New User

Postby jstep813 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am

I'm on Humira for my ulcerative colitis and relapsed one year later with C diff. My GI Dr attributed it to my suppressed immune system from the Humira.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”