7 days post Vanco- New to all of this

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Aurora
New User

7 days post Vanco- New to all of this

Postby Aurora » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm

I am new to the site and to c-diff. I am a 35 year old F and believe all of this stemmed from taking several strong antibiotics this summer for drug-resistant mastitis (including IV and oral clindomiacin). I had been diligent about taking probiotics and thought I was in the clear, until a few weeks ago I had D 17 times in one day and the last few times with B.
I made an appointment the following day and brought a sample which they sent out. I was called 3 days later and told I had c diff colitis and a prescription for vanco 250 mg 4xday for 10 days was called in. Follow up with primary care in a week or so.

I eventually started feeling better, finished vanco last Sunday and saw primary care (who sees a lot of c-diff patients), and all was looking promising. I have been having solid movements and was given go ahead to eat what I like. I drink kefir, eat yogurt, and started branching away from just bland stuff.

Here is my concern: I had pizza last night and a greasy breakfast with coffee this morning. After 2 normal movements, I had one small incidence of D. Should I call like I was told or do you feel this is just my poor eating choices aggravating my bowels today? I don't want to retreat if not necessary but don't want to have a bad relapse either.

roy
Administrator

Re: 7 days post Vanco- New to all of this

Postby roy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Eat what you like is not the best advice.
You had a serious infection in one of the largest organs in your body.
Treatment does not switch off the damage, it gives it chance to repair.
Most people stick to simple foods for quite a while, possibly a few months.
If D returns with a vengeance get advice but "off" days are normal.
3 x D a day for 3 days is a good guide.
Theres no such thing as a reliable test to see if it's gone so if your Dr suggests doing it be cautious about a positive result if your not having D.

Aurora
New User

Postby Aurora » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Thank you, Roy. I will proceed with caution. I do believe I got greedy and ate things my gut just was not ready for. Hoping for the best and going back to blander foods. Also just got my jarrow version of Florastor in the mail. Thinking I will start out with one a day and continue the kefir and yogurt.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 am

Definitely DO NOT eat what you like in early recovery . You should start with rice , bananas , toast , potatoes (not fried) , white meat baked or grilled , applesauce , white fish , chicken or vegetables soup , eggs and gradually add more foods back into your diet. Eating sugary treats,raw fruits and veggies , leafy greens , fast foods , alcohol etc will flare up IBS. Sometimes dairy products can be really hard to tolerate but kefir and yogurt have cultures that break down lactose , hard cheeses like cheddar might be probably ok for you too .

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 am

You will often see it suggested that you introduce new foods slowly and one at a time.
That means if for instance you try cheese you try a piece the size of your thumbnail, wait a few days and if your ok try a slightly bigger piece!
Pizza is notorious, gluten, fats, tomato (think nightshade family).
if you try it go for a piece the size of half a credit card.
A good guide is if you would not give a food to an 18 month old child then it's probably not good for a damaged gut.

Aurora
New User

Postby Aurora » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:53 am

Back to yogurt, bananas, crackers, and herbal tea for breakfast today. So far, so good. Trying to keep calories up since I am breastfeeding. I have also been drinking an electrolyte Body Armour drink, and it does not seem to be having any negative effects. Lots of water as well, throughout the day. Why my primary would tell me to eat what I like just be cautious with dairy, is beyond me. I specifically asked to avoid this kind of situation. Live and learn.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:24 am

I also want to add if you are drinking alot of water to drink "smart water" which has some electrolytes. Most Primary's and even GI's often don't understand the healing process and how long it can take
We do have posters who have no issues as they start new foods. I found even OTC meds I had taken in the past were an big issues for me.
Take it slow and hopefully each day you will see improvement.

Feel better soon

NanciT

Aurora
New User

Postby Aurora » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:03 pm

I drank smart water while I was on the vanco and especially the first few days when I felt so dehydrated. I will go shopping for some more. I have felt so much better today. I am thinking the few slices of pizza Saturday evening followed by a breakfast of homemade sausage gravy and biscuits, fried egg, coffee, and a big glass of orange juice was not my smartest move. I took for granted how good I was feeling and threw caution to the wind. Also drank a kombucha and I am not entirely sure if that was ok either. Too many variables to keep track of and no way to know which food was the worst offender! I truly appreciate everyone's feedback. This group has made this experience a little less scary.

Aurora
New User

Postby Aurora » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 pm

I wanted to check in with everyone and update. I feel especially lucky that 6 weeks post treatment I am completely symptom free. I can eat and drink what I want now without exception. My digestive system seems better than it had been the past couple of years. I responded to one course of vanco and I am so grateful. I know this is a scary disease and it seems like all we find on the internet are the worst case scenarios. I hope to stay healthy and I truly hope that someone can read this and find hope and encouragement.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Great news. Thanks for posting and giving hope to others.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:58 am

You are very fortunate to have responded to one treatment.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Congrats-Thanks for posting!
It would be great if you posted your story in the Success Story section.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”