Is it returning?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hopenow
Regular User

Is it returning?

Postby hopenow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi All,

Today is day 4 after completing 2 weeks on vanco 4x a day.

While on the vanco my BMs were the best they have ever been, my whole life. Perfectly formed and normal.

However today I feel like it is coming back, my stomach is burning and gassy and gurgling, and has been since last night, and I have been 3x today with them getting progressively less well formed, and starting to float again, sorry if that is TMI. I also have started to feel depressed and down again.

What do you think? I am starting to worry again..

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is it returning?

Postby NanciT » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Post CDIFF you can expect off days. As far as BM's, they can be all over the place. The diet you follow can impact that, start slow adding new foods. I found when I made changes, things would be "off" for a few days. I often go to a bland diet and things improve.
What you do look for is if D starts and symptoms of CDIFF return. I could tell it was a relapse, I would feel very ill and weak.

Give it time, it can take awhile

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 am

As Nanci said , after you finish the meds for Cdiff the recovery process is a hard,long and bumby road, it's a race between good and bad flora to regrow.
If good wins your cured and your gut will heal. BM will be all over the place , along with the other symptoms you have described.It's what most of us are dealing with and it's fine as long as nothing full blown happens. However , if you are developing classic symptoms like frequent D, pain or fever and feeling ill, you need to see you doctor ASAP and need to be treated. Are you eating a bland diet? Taking any probiotics?

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks all.

I am taking Yakult 1x a day, and trying to eat bland.

I guess I am freaking out because I have gone back to 4-5bms a day, and a lot of burning pain in my lower abdomen most of the day as well as a sickly feeling in my stomach.

I do not have D, but I do have the cramps and stuff, does that sound like it has returned or does that just sound like my body trying to adjust?

Everything was so good while on vanco :(

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:04 pm

It sounds like your good and bad bacteria are at war right now. Honestly, it is so hard to tell sometimes if it's a relapse or normal recovery. Given that you do not have full blown D, I am thinking it's just the gut battle going on. If things start to get worse though, I would see your GI right away. Definitely run your concerns by your doctor though. I thought I was relapsing around 2 weeks after finishing vanco as well. I was going pretty frequently, mainly in the morning hours though. I would have the urgency to go as soon as I woke up. I had nausea during the morning as well. However, the rest of the day would be pretty normal. The BMs were not full blown D, although they were far from normal. I was actually prescribed vanco again, but something told me to hold off as it was really just the mornings that were horrible. My GI retested me, and my test was negative. I was glad that I didn't start another round of meds unnecessarily. Sometimes you have to watch, wait and see for a bit to determine if it's a relapse or not. It all stinks, I know! Hope you see some improvement soon.

Lisa

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for the replies..

I am now over 2 weeks off vanco, and the last week things improved, despite some dodgy ish days, all was ok.

However, I have had 5 small bms today and the final one was just mucus that may have had red dots but i couldnt really see. Would this suggest it has returned? What do I need to do, get retested?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:35 am

If your symptoms don't subside you should go to your doctor and ask to be tested . However your symptoms don't seem to be very bad but the blood is always concerning and it definitely needs to be checked out . It could be just hems but it's good to not take any chances.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:17 pm

I have asked my doctor for an appointment.

Last night I ate a jacket potato and salad, and this morning my entire bm x 3 were bright green and actual bits of lettuce.. This has never happened before...

I also have burning and griping consistently in my stomach.

Are these likely signs it has come back?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:40 pm

No!
It means like most other people with a fragile gut you should not eat SALAD for quite a while:-)
Type "salad" in the search box and see the 100s of posters that said salad does not agree with them.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:45 pm

I will avoid Salad for a while then, I don't even like it, I just thought oh thats bland.

What do you reckon to the constant burning/feeling like I need to go even though I don't? Is that normal after stopping the meds?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Avoid salad and raw vegetables!!!
I could not eat salad for several years and missed it terribly but for me, it was like torture.
It is abrasive to the healing gut. Hopefully it won’t take that long for you.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:42 am

Oh yeah , definitely stay away from any leafy greens , pretty hard to digest even if they are cooked. If i were to have a piece of lettuce in my sandwich that piece of lettuce will go straight trough me undigested.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Ok so today I had a normal BM, which was a nice surprise, but this constant burning in my intestines just won't stop it is there all day and night and I am finding myself constantly exhausted. Is this normal in recovery? Has anybody experienced this burning?

I have reached out to my doctor via message but not heard back yet regarding an appointment.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Definitely normal. I had burning guts and terrible indigestion for the first month or so after treatment. It slowly got better with time.

If you go to the doc, don't let him perscribe you a PPI like Prilosec. That's been known to cause CDiff reoccurances for many people. There are other ways to treat burning and indigestion.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Thank you. They have scheduled me in for Monday, I am actually currently on a PPI and I can't come off it cold turkey so I am looking at tapering coming off with a GI shortly.

I am also getting constant gurgling... all over my stomach... Was that normal too?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”