Is this normal or not?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Betsy723
Brand New Poster

Is this normal or not?

Postby Betsy723 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:19 am

35 year old female
I was prescribed amoxicillin several times while pregnant in 2017 for a bad tooth
January 2018 I thought I had a Uti and was prescribed antibiotics did not clear up and was prescribed several different antibiotics, looking back I think I was having stress induced anxiety
April I was diagnosed with Cdiff was prescribed Flagyl and relaspsed 2 times in June I took Dificid and felt better
July my colorectal dr ordered a colonoscopy
Results were colitis and could not determine if it was from Cdiff or an IBD,
August I felt pretty well and had 1-2 regular bowel movements
September- I am a teacher and returned to work, 2 of my 3 kids also returned to school and sports. I started drinking coffee again and there was lots of stress with going back to work. I started having abdominal pain and more of a BM that was gas and small pieces. I stopped drinking coffee again and it helped with some of the pain. I am still having 2-3 gas BM some more watery than others. My colorectal dr suggested another colonoscopy and I absolutely do not want to do that. He also prescribed mesalamine for colitis . Am I in normal recovery?

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Is this normal or not?

Postby sammyp » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi there! I'm in recovery, about 7 weeks past my last dose of a Vanco taper pulse and I will say I've had some really bad days. Even last night, I felt awful, tons of abdominal pain and bloating and nausea but now today I'm feeling better.

I would definitely not being getting another colonoscopy unless absolutely medically necessary especially since you had one recently.

I would say adhere to the 3 day rule (3 or more loose stools a day for 3 or more days) and if that applies to you, get retested to make sure you're not reoccurring. I did the math and it seems like you are or almost are out of the recurring window (3 months after your last treatment) so hopefully you're just having some bad days mixed in with your good ones in recovery like many of us. I will also say that stress absolutely kills my stomach now, more than it ever did before so I would consider finding a way to cope whether that be meditation, journaling, exercising or seeking a mental health professional if at home stuff isn't working. Wishing you all the best :)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is this normal or not?

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Pleases read the first thread for all new posters

I often recommend seeing your GI( you mentioned colorectal) and I am not sure you are seeing a GI, if you are possible a second opinion if your abdominal pain continues. Diet changes can cause issues so it possibly could be the increase in coffee but if ABD pain continues see anther GI. I would not have a 2nd colonoscopy, there are several labs that can be done if symptoms continue. As far as BM's are concerned, they can be all over the place for awhile with Post CDIFF symptoms. In recovery there really is no "normal" or set of time. Some get through this quickly with one or two rounds of medications, other's like myself take a very long time. I ended up seeing 3 GI's during my time with CDIFF, I am not one to change physicians but I was not getting better. I had abdominal pain for a long time but had been on a very long Taper of Dificid which looking back probably attributed to it.

Hope things improve soon, go easy on the diet

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”