Relapse or PI-IBS?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Erynt
Brand New Poster

Relapse or PI-IBS?

Postby Erynt » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello, I’m 25 y/o female diagnosed with Cdiff 9/8/18 in the ER after taking Augmentin 7 days for sinus infection. I took Flagyl for 10 days and saw improvements slowly but surely. Had two loose stool less than a week after finishing the flagyl and did stool sample for PCR which came back negative. My appetite is slowly improving, but I did lose 12lbs overall.
Flash forward to this week. I have been eating a bland diet (applesauce, bananas, organic chicken and green beans) but cheated with a sip of whisky, one Oreo, 1/2 an almond milk chai latte, and tater tots on Monday. By Tuesday night I was very nauseous with a low grade fever, but on Wednesday I woke up with cold symptoms (sore throat, nasal congestion + runny nose, coughing and sneezing). I also had 2 loose stool, and saw my GI’s NP. She sent me for stool sample to test PCR and A+B toxins. The next 2 days, I have fluxated between (TMI alert)a formed but soft little lumps BM x1-2 to mudpie looking loose stool x2-3 to diarrhea x2 esp at night. It almost seems as though I am Constipated, with lots of straining even with D and some trips to br producing nothing at all.
The nausea comes and goes, no fever since Tuesday. No cramping, but almost burning sensation when I have to use the bathroom. My M has increased, and I’m still congested so I can’t tell if BMs smell like cdiff. My appetite isn’t great, but I find not eating holds off D. 2 very soft but formed BMs today, drinking only water and bone broth.
Nurse called back yesterday to say I was negative, but then the lab accidentally called me on the weekend today with lab results, hung up when I realized I was the patient. I called the GI doc on Call, who said she didn’t get results but if I’m having diarrhea at all to take Vanco, which she called in.
I’m hesitant to take, as I feel like the constipation/D could be a symptom of PI-IBS? Also before cdiff, I had a history of Sibo which I did not treat, and I just realized the probiotic I have been taking has prebiotics, bad for Sibo. I started VSL3 yesterday. Have been taking Saccromyces Boulardii since Flagyl.
I have appt with ID doc in 2 days on Monday, not sure if I should wait it out to start Vanco. Any Advice/Suggestions? I am getting stressed, think that’s making it worse.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse or PI-IBS?

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like you were called and results were negative. A bland diet slowly adding foods is very important in recovery. The whiskey or any alcohol can really irritate the gut.
Watch your diet and go very slow, no alcohol at all, talk with your new ID about this
We can't advise if you should treat or now but it sounds like your test was negative

Hope it goes well

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:37 am

I personally think that the sip of wiskey did u in. After Cdiff most of us are left with dysbiosis and irritated gut and only time and a bland diet can help heal your gut .For the future , try to avoid things that can flare up IBS and stick to safe foods. If you had tested positive for SIBO in the past then you should probably try the low fodmap diet and stay away from probiotics.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:23 pm

I highly doubt that a sip of whiskey caused your problem! Perhaps the combination of Oreo, tater tots, and almond milk was the culprit -- then again, perhaps not. There aren't really "safe" or "unsafe" foods for either C. diff or IBS. It's only a matter of what you, individually, can tolerate, and the only way to know that is through trial and error. That said, it's probably not a bad idea to mostly stick to bland foods until you're feeling better.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Erynt
Brand New Poster

Postby Erynt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm

To catch you up, I ended up getting more frequent foul smelling D, and started 14 days of Vanco. D stopped after 1 day of meds so C diff must have been back. Turns out I tested negative only for the A+B toxins but positive for PCR. I have finished the meds for a week now and am now sticking to a bland diet! I’m so paranoid, I don’t want to add in more than 1 new food from the low residue GI diet every 3 days. Definitely no gluten, dairy or alcohol for at least 2 months!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:52 pm

It is very unusual that only 1 day of meds gives a cure ...
I do have to say toxins are what is the most important indicator of disease not the PCR solely. Symptoms are the bottom line so you are better now and all is done.
You are aware to watch your diet as your gut needs rest to recover from the inflammation it has been through. Many people can not tolerate dairy, fried foods, fiber, red meat and sweets so tread carefully. Alcohol is definitely out. I could not drink for a year but that was me.
Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:35 pm

I agree with Rita.
Vanco does not stop the effect of c.diff overnight.
It kills the active infection quite quickly but it takes several days for the toxins that cause symptoms to be expelled.
One day of meds would (probably) not stop D caused by c.diff.

Erynt
Brand New Poster

Postby Erynt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:59 pm

For my first bout of C-Diff the Flagyl also stopped diarrhea after 1 day of meds for me fortunately... and I had originally tested positive for PCR and toxins.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:12 pm

That's very fortunate for you but for the benefit of other readers they should understand that no antibiotic is expected to improve c.diff symptoms in one day.
A lot has to happen before the D stops.
The antibiotic kills the active infection, the body expels the toxins that are already there and then the colon has to stop the natural defensive reaction to excrete liquid instead of absorbing it!
That takes 3 to 5 days.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”